Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Possible leaky injector/s ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible leaky injector/s ?

SO My 96 has been sitting for a couple weeks while I work on another car and last week my wife was sitting in it and turned on the key... Yesterday I got in it to move it and found the key on battery dead.

I got my 97 and jumped it, letting it sit there and charge up the battery a little. When I got in I noticed there was only 1/2 tank of gas... It was full when I parked it. No wet spots etc indicating any leaking of the gas.

Truck would not start and was giving off the totally flooded smell.

Could I have bad injectors? Is is possible that sitting with the key on, the fuel pump pump half a tank of gas into my engine before the battery died?

If you remember from earlier posts, I had bought this truck sitting in a walmart parking lot where it had sat for 8 months. When I retrieved it, the tank was bone dry and the battery was also dead. I had assumed it had ran out of gas... now I'm not so sure.

With this super rich issue I have been having when I do run the truck, rich enough that it fouling out all the plugs and pouring black smoke out the back, it would seem to fit also.

Just wanting to get some general feeling on this.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No leaving the key on will not keep the fuel pump running, it shuts back off if the engine is not started after a few seconds.
Not to mention there is no way in hell half a tank of fuel could even fit into the cylinders.

As for the running rich, yes you could have a injector or 3 that is stuck partially open from varnish from the stale fuel.

As for where did the fuel go, I think its still there and the fuel gauge will read the correct level once the battery is full.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First time I have heard of this type of issue. I would first pull all the start plugs and see if any are dripping wet with fuel. The problem I am having with this is, if the injectors were leaking where did all the gas go, either filling up many cylinder areas and the crank case, in which case the engine would have hydro-locked then blown up with the first spark. Also, even if the key were left on, the pump will only run for about 5 seconds and then shut off.
Is your crank case full of gas? One way or the other, I would clean and dry, or replace the plugs, do an oil change and run a can of B&G's 44K thru the tanks to clean the injectors.
Let us know what you find.