Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window problem

Hi all,

Been having this issue for a while and it finally totally came off the rails so I had to take the door apart. Surprisingly, the rollers on the roller arms seem to be mostly serviceable; one is a little bit wobbly, the other still in great shape. But the issue is that the window itself seems to get stuck, so therefor the rollers keep dropping and then with no weight on them when they come back up to meet the stuck window they get off track.

It's really hard to see down there, so I was hoping someone would have a quick "do this" kind of solution? The windows themselves or their tracks aren't lubricated in any way, it doesn't seem, so not sure what could actually be done.

Any assistance greatly appreciated while the door panel is still off!!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

If nothing is bent and the plastic rollers good might just need to grease the tracks and rollers, be sure no burs on the tracks, mine did, this and never found the cause, I also sprayed lithium grease in the channels

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM
4wd Low

yeah, i was thinking graphite or something. Is lithium grease the "right" thing to put in there?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

When I worked at Buick we were told white lithium spray grease in the window seals

Now on the metal tracks maybe something more like bearing grease, there was a odd grease we used sort of clear for this stuff but no idea what it was

Old 05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

SuperLube is by far the best. You can get it in different sizes at most Auto Parts stores and it looks like this>

Super Lube® Synthetic Grease (21030) - Automotive Grease & Lubrication - Ace Hardware

Old 05-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I rub fly rod joints in my nose oil. Try that.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I rub fly rod joints in my nose oil. Try that.
WTF??? rotflol

Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 AM
4wd Low

ok, well, I am in France so not sure super lube will be readily available here, but I will see what I can find. Definitely relieved that the rollers aren't messed up, well too badly anyway. One is a little wobbly, but I don't think it will matter since once the window is back on the rollers it works fine. The glass just hangs about halfway down while the rollers keep descending. Thanks for all the input!!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 AM
4wd Low

Just a little update in case anyone stumbles upon the same problem. In looking at the rails today, I noticed that they were lined with felt, so those that suggested grease were probably talking about greasing the arm mechanism itself, which is actually working fine.

After playing around with it for a bit, I finally realized that it was the rubber liner that runs along the bottom of the window, which was folding inwards towards the glass as the window went down and therefor causing the window to hang. As well, the rear arm was a little bent inwardly (towards the interior) so as the mechanism descended it would be too far in as the window and gravity finally caught up to the arm. A little bit of tweaking of the horizontal window squeegie thing so that it didn't catch the window and hold it up and then bending the rear arm a bit outwards (towards exterior of vehicle) so that if it did hang the window would still slide down into the rollers, and voila, seems to be working fine now.

I guess sometimes you just don't have to replace anything! Thanks for all your replies!