Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Prepping for first head gasket job - D1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping for first head gasket job - D1

Hey Everyone,

I'll be attempting my first head gasket job on my 1996 Discovery 1 in several weeks and I'm trying to get all the pieces together now. I've read plenty of write-ups and other documentation but I cannot find a consistent answer on head bolt prep prior to reinstalling the heads. Those of you who have done this job how did you prep the block/bolts? I will have all new hardware, but I've read some guys use motor oil on the threads and grease under the bolt head. Is this necessary? I imagine the grease under the bolt head would affect torque values. Furthermore, I'll be cleaning the block side holes with brake clean and compressed air, so is it necessary to chase the thread on the block?

Last edited by _ExpeditionMan; 01-27-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I chased the threads in the block with an old head bolt with 2 slots cut in it aka a tap. Prior to the new bolts being installed I also dipped them in motor oil per ABs HG video for the D2.

Its not a hard job, take yer time and lots of pics. Also ziploc bags and a sharpie are your friend!

Old 01-27-2019, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Use oil on threads per the manual and anti seize under bolt heads (normal machine prep), prevents galling. Chase threads with a blind tap (I grind the first 1/4" off to bottom thread cutting), dresses them again to prevent galling. What head gaskets did you get? Also if you don't have one I'd suggest buying a 1/2" degree wrench for the two 90* turns, just removes the guess work, makes the turns more precise. If you can't get to the back set of bolts unbolt the motor mounts and lower the motor enough to get to them squarely, that is critical as they clamp the head to the block coolant passage and the gasket and port is very thin walled.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Use oil on threads per the manual and anti seize under bolt heads (normal machine prep), prevents galling. Chase threads with a blind tap (I grind the first 1/4" off to bottom thread cutting), dresses them again to prevent galling. What head gaskets did you get? Also if you don't have one I'd suggest buying a 1/2" degree wrench for the two 90* turns, just removes the guess work, makes the turns more precise. If you can't get to the back set of bolts unbolt the motor mounts and lower the motor enough to get to them squarely, that is critical as they clamp the head to the block coolant passage and the gasket and port is very thin walled.
Thanks for the response. What size of blind tap do you use to chase the threads? Definitely want to make sure I get this correct.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Another excellent tool to have on hand is a Mayhew Stud Extractor for if/when one of the head bolts breaks.
When you need on of these it's worth every penny.
>
Amazon Amazon

And if you haven't used one before, just skip to 1:02 in the video...…

>

Old 01-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Camel Trophy

^Let's all hold hands and say a prayer........

Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
^Let's all hold hands and say a prayer........
Amen to that for sure!

That tool is certainly one to own, and hope like HELL you NEVER have to use it.
BUT being a ROVER it's better to be prepared.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Three Wheeling

I was about to say, DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME! Appreciate the input guys, took down both of these as notes. Better to be prepared than stranded halfway through a job.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

I did my first head gasket and cylinder head replacement several months ago. Reading from this forum combined with watching this video several times helped.

Land Rover - Range Rover - Head Gasket Replacement

Quick Reply: Prepping for first head gasket job - D1