Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Questions about diff lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Questions about diff lock?

A couple of months ago I traded my 1995 Ford Ranger for my new 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD, it has a 2.5 inch body lift, and a 2 inch suspension lift. I'm a Ford guy through and through, so I'm not quite sure how all this Rover stuff works.

So I checked out the manual about how to work the diff lock, I see that I have a lever to change from H to N to L, I'm assuming this is High, Neutral, and Low. and I read how to change it to High or Low, by putting the Rover in neutral. But when I went to put it in Low, nothing happened, except a constant beeping sound came on and if I put my car into drive it acted as though it was in Neutral, and then when I disengage from "L" back to "H", the beeping sound went away, and the Rover went back to normal. Is there something wrong with my transfer case or what?

But other than that, I love my Rover. This thing could climb a tree. So far I've installed a new head unit with a built-in iPod dock(had to rig up my own dash-install kit to get it to fit), 1200watt amp, 2 bazooka tubes, 2 6x9's, and all new speakers, Cobra CB Radio, ES1000 ProComp Shocks, Terrafirma Steering Damper, and hopefully I'm going to get my 33 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on the truck here soon.

Excited to be in the Land Rover community.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The beeping is to tell you the tc is in neutral, you must not have got it all the way up. As for the cdl you slide the lever to the left to lock the diff in the tc.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tweakrover
The beeping is to tell you the tc is in neutral, you must not have got it all the way up. As for the cdl you slide the lever to the left to lock the diff in the tc.
Alright cool, ha I feel dumb for asking but thanks for the help, I read somewhere about pushing it to the left but I figured it was for a different year model.
Preciate it.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench

Yea lots of people get confused with it.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transfer case on these ole Rovers is a bit quirky... If it hasn't been shifted into low range in awhile then you will likely have to just keep working it in and out of low and high range till it shifts smoothy... Then about once a month or so just shift it in and out one or two times to keep it feed up... I found by having the vekicle on a bit of an incline I could let the vehicle coast (slower than walking speed) while shifting into low range... This made the shift dogs line up a bit better and shift much easier...

Many folks never have need of the low range and thus never shift into it... Often times the locker is not used either so it too can become stiff... I had to take the shifter (and linkages) out of my 94 to free them up cause they were frozen in the high-unlocked position... Once I got em working right, it now shifts without issue...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like they said, if it has not been used much, the linkages tend to bind or even corrode since the mechanisn is exposed to the environment from below.

If it does not move freely side to side, you may need to remove the center console to gain acccess to fix the problem. The linkages are not as stout as you would expect and can bind easily and use of force can cause damage. Do a search on CDL and you will finds several threads about it already.

Click on the pics link in my signature for some pics of the internal of the CDL linkages.
Click on the other link for any interesting video.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench

You can shift it while rolling in neutral less than 5mph, I've found if the speedo needle is still sitting on the peg you are going slow enough, and its much eaisier to do while rolling, I never shift it while holding still.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GRover96
Alright cool, ha I feel dumb for asking but thanks for the help, I read somewhere about pushing it to the left but I figured it was for a different year model.
Preciate it.
All DI transfer cases work the same.
Back and to the right is hi unlocked, normal driving, still in 4x4 though.
Forward and to the right is lo unlocked.
Back and to the left is hi locked, offroad or snow covered roads only.
Forward and left is low locked, off road only.