Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radiator Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Flush

So I was reading OilspotLR's post about flushing the radiator I just wanted to double check some things.

Mine coolant color is brownish orange, so I need to flush it. So I had a few questions for anyone.

So I get that I put a hose on the top intake and take off the bottom hose and let it drain. I then pour the distilled water in the reservoir to clean all the tap water (mine is well water would you suggest not putting all that in there)? So next I drain that correct and then add the 50/50 Peak? So I need to make sure I get all the air out and this is where I get lost. I take the bleed screw and loosen it or something like that?

What about waterwetter does anyone suggest that?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. No well water, it is high mineral content. Note to "city slickerz" - you may be on wells also, resort areas frequently use deep wells. My town uses river water (surface water in the trade) on the industrial side of town, it is processed and used by plants and back in the river in four hours - have to keep those ships floating. Buy gallons of distilled water at the store, buy extras.

2. I wound put hose in the bottom and flush reverse also direction to get more flakes of scale out.

3. When you fill with the 50:50 Peak you would have the bleed screw loose so air could move out, you will end up raising the coolant jug so it is above the radiator to force out more air. Do this when cold. Many owners tighten the bleed screw at the first sign of coolant, I would let quite a bit get thru there to get more air out.

4. Of course top off again the next day (to a line in the coolant container, which can't be 100% full). Desired not to have any gurgle noise under the dash from air in coolant.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is for a BMW but, the bleeding principal is the same. This is what I used.

Fixed.

Last edited by bcbp; 07-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Mudding

So I need to go to someone's house with city water to do the flush is what you are saying?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

No you can flush with well water, then wash it out with distilled. The flushing is to bring out solids / sludge / flakes.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well water is fine for the flush, drain the system, fill with well water, run engine with heater on, shut engine off, let cool for 15-20 min, drain, repeat until it all comes out clean.
Then you can fill with the distilled water, run it for a short bit, cool, drain, refill with the 50/50 coolant.
Dont worry about the wet water purple slushee stuff.
While you have the coolant drained replace the thermostat too.
Leave the t-stat out while you flush the system.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Default Thermostat

So I have been reading a bunch of peoples posts on here about what temp thermostat they are using, so I am confused as to which one to get? I will only use it off-road it is not a daily driver less than 1000 miles a year I am guessing.

Another question may sound trivial but I am new, I will unhook both bigger lines on the radiator to flush correct? The lower one is on the left side and the higher one is on the right side, correct?. So I will flush the bottom one to get any sludge out of the bottom. As you can tell I have never flushed a radiator but now I will know how after this. Thanks guys for all the help

Josh

Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The OEM t-stat is a 190*F, I use a 195.
You can get the t-stat at AutoZone, the part number for the gasket is in the tech section.

I highly recommend replacing all of your hoses too, Atlantic British sells quality hose kits for a reasonable price.

As for flushing, remove the upper radiator hose, thats the one from the engine to the radiator.
Remove the t-stat.
Remove the lower hose.
Run the garden hose into the top of the engine until clear water comes out of the water pump.
Next stick the garden hose into the top of the radiator, flush until clear water comes out.
Now remove one end of one of the heater hoses, flush with water until clear.
Put it all back together.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Mudding
Default Flush

Do I need to worry about getting well water and the minerals left in the engine? Or will the distilled water when I run the engine for a bit clean all that out?

Josh

Old 07-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

The distilled will flush it out and dilute what is left.

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush