Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radio Fix: Cassette Drive Belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio Fix: Cassette Drive Belt

Like a lot of folks, my OEM radio ended up stuck in tape mode when it failed to eject a cassette tape. Searching the forums, everyone suggested just replacing it. I like the factory look, dash controls, and existing component amps and speakers, so considered swapping the head unit for another used one.

Since I had nothing to lose, I wondered if I could get into the old one and find the problem or at least get it back into radio mode. I followed instructions on removing the radio found on this forum. I popped the top off the deck, removed the 4 screws securing the tape transport, disconnected the multipin connector, and lifted the transport out. Next I flipped it over, removed 4 screws securing transport cover to expose motor pulley and transport flywheels. Low and behold, the belt had simply slipped off. I removed the belt noting the correct serpentine path for reinstall, cleaned the belt with alcohol, then reassembled everything and reinstalled the radio. It's now working perfectly.

However, after 17 years the belt seems to have stretched, so I'd like to replace it with a new one. Anyone know a source for a new cassette drive belt?

The following users liked this post:
firstgeer (07-21-2016)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Mine is probly the same problem, rather common I would think, I like my stock setup other, then location of the disc changer, I would also like my tape deck to work, listen to my 80's /90's tapes ahh nostalgic

Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Mudding

I use the tape deck in the radio for a tape to mini jack adapter to connect my iPod, probably like a lot of folks. Repairing the tape transport was quite easy, probably less than a 2 on a 1 to 5 scale. Really very simple. Given that this is the most likely cause of the majority of issues with head unit cassette failure to eject, I was surprised there was no mention of attempted repair of the unit by anyone.

The hardest part is getting the unit out of the dash. I purchased the special BMW stereo removal tool, a 5 sided key similar to an allen, from Amazon for $7.00, so the first step of unlocking the unit using the holes on the left and right side of the face plate was easy. But I could not find where anyone had well described how to release the chassis locking tabs to slide the unit out. It looked like there was a slot across the top of the opening so I slid in some kitchen knives and pushed, prodded, levered and twisted while pulling until it let go. I understand there are special keys to do this, without them or understanding how best to release the tabs it was a bit too much force for 17 year old plastic, and something could have broken. So if someone can enlighten me on this aspect, I'm all ears.

I have reached out to Roverville to purchase the drive belt. Really nothing more than a large thin black rubber band. I am certain they have them, we'll see if they will sell me one and for what price.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Mudding

I forgot to mention, for those who have no interest in a functioning cassette deck, removal of the tape transport as described above and accessing the motor pulley and flywheels is the best way to get the unit out of tape mode and get the radio working again. You can simply spin the large black flywheels manually (one clockwise, the other counter clockwise) to move the cassette carrier in the transport all the way up, and the unit should switch back to radio mode.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Mudding

Took a while, but here's the info about how to acquire the belt. For reference, the OEM radio/cassette head unit for my '97 Discovery I SE-7 is made by Pioneer, model # KEX 910 ZRV

The belt is part #950FQW8713, and can be ordered online from pacparts.com for $7.00 plus shipping. They say it takes about 4 days to get it in.

GB 4X4 Radios, formerly Roverville, also carries the belt, but they have a minimum purchase of $20.00, so pacparts.com is less expensive.

As I mentioned above, the repair itself is really very easy once you get the unit out of the dash. Now, there's no reason to be afraid of your eject button, or to buy a used head unit with an old suspect belt.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Mudding

Turns out 950FQW8713 is the SKU# for the belt, possibly pacparts number. Pioneer's actual part number is CNT-1046. Comparing the old belt that had slipped off the pulley and flywheels there is no question the old belt had stretched out a lot.

The following users liked this post:
Coachgeo (12-13-2015)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Thank you! Great directions. took me 20min and it is full functional again.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Cnt1046 on eBay 7.99+.99 shipping

Got a link to the tool ? I still need to fix mine

Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Got a link to the tool ? I still need to fix mine[/QUOTE]

I used a small flat head screw driver and was careful to go slow and not strip them.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

ok....not to high jack here, but....my cassette deck stopped working....the tape goes in fine but it just keeps clicking , as if it's changing sides(?) ..no sound, and it ejects ok....any ideas gang ?

Quick Reply: Radio Fix: Cassette Drive Belt