Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking

Exactly what the title says. I tend to have random thoughts (ADHD?) so I figured rather than tread-jacking I would just start my own thread for when a Discovery 1 or off-road thought pops in my head.

First thought...my lift showed up last night so I am excited to install it this weekend. Went with the TerraFirma TF202 (the cheapest...medium duty lift). I have never been one for bumpers, so I figured this one would handle what gear I have (camping gear) just fine.

Second plan...I have left over rock rails from my Xterra. They are the exact right length so I am planning to find a welder (technically already found one...just waiting until he has time) to weld a mounting bracket on and will have a set of rails for the cost of a case of beer. The original cost of the rails doesn't count...they more than paid for themselves when they were on my Xterra.

Also, ordering some 235/85/R16 tires...ideally from treadwright. The only potential hang up is they are discontinuing the "Crawler" tread (the only off-road tread in that size)...so if they don't have 5 with same/similar carcasses...I might have to go elsewhere...or go with a 265/75/R16 (Guard Dog/MTR clone) and adjust the steering stops.

Edit: Just got confirmation that they have 235/85/R16 Crawler M/T's on BFG AT casings and will be shipping later today. 5 "new" Mud Terrains on a quality, 3-ply sidewall, for <$700 including shipping and the mount/balance fee (at a local shop)? Hell Yeah!

Last edited by shaggy52282; 04-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Probably going to paint the roof white. It is a dark green truck...but it is beginning to show signs of rust so the roof needs to be painted...and figure a white roof would help with heat, and still look good.

Last edited by shaggy52282; 04-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
Exactly what the title says. I tend to have random thoughts (ADHD?) so I figured rather than tread-jacking I would just start my own thread for when a Discovery 1 or off-road thought pops in my head.

First thought...my lift showed up last night so I am excited to install it this weekend. Went with the TerraFirma TF202 (the cheapest...medium duty lift). I have never been one for bumpers, so I figured this one would handle what gear I have (camping gear) just fine.

Second plan...I have left over rock rails from my Xterra. They are the exact right length so I am planning to find a welder (technically already found one...just waiting until he has time) to weld a mounting bracket on and will have a set of rails for the cost of a case of beer. The original cost of the rails doesn't count...they more than paid for themselves when they were on my Xterra.

Also, ordering some 235/85/R16 tires...ideally from treadwright. The only potential hang up is they are discontinuing the "Crawler" tread (the only off-road tread in that size)...so if they don't have 5 with same/similar carcasses...I might have to go elsewhere...or go with a 265/75/R16 (Guard Dog/MTR clone) and adjust the steering stops.

Edit: Just got confirmation that they have 235/85/R16 Crawler M/T's on BFG AT casings and will be shipping later today. 5 "new" Mud Terrains on a quality, 3-ply sidewall, for <$700 including shipping and the mount/balance fee (at a local shop)? Hell Yeah!
Where did you hear they are going to discontinue the crawler?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably going to paint the roof white. It is a dark green truck...but it is beginning to show signs of rust so the roof needs to be painted...and figure a white roof would help with heat, and still look good.

drop the headliner and take the roof rails and alpine windows out while youre up there.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Where did you hear they are going to discontinue the crawler?
An email from Phoebe in customer service when I asked questions earlier this week. Full email copied below.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for contacting us. The casings brands we use for the 235/85/16's are Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, BFG, Yokohama, and some Goodyear. For the 265/75/16's Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo, Goodyear and BFG.

We are discontinuing the Crawler tread design and will no longer be able to take orders for any size in the Crawler tread by phone. You will be able to place an order online until our inventory runs out. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Phoebe

Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
drop the headliner and take the roof rails and alpine windows out while youre up there.
Is there a functional purpose for that suggestion? I don't have any leaks...that I have found at least.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An email from Phoebe in customer service when I asked questions earlier this week. Full email copied below.

WTF? Treadwright is going in the wrong direction.. Hope to see something new and better from them.. Oh well..

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
WTF? Treadwright is going in the wrong direction.. Hope to see something new and better from them.. Oh well..
I think I like the MTR clone a bit better anyway...but they don't have it in the size I want. If they replaced the Crawler with the Guard Dog in the 235/85/R16 I would consider it a good option...not that I will be in the market again for a few years.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was her last name Kate by any chance....

Don't worry about the MED springs handling a little extra weight. From the TF guide, TF018's can handle a winch and a bumper (up to 220lbs add'l weight).

Curious to see the lift height on yours....have fun.

Last edited by wheelgarage; 04-27-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Was her last name Cates by any chance....
Fixed that for you.

As far as the springs, in the Kit screen it says +100kg front, +200kg rear, but if you look at the specs for the actual springs themselves it says +50kg front (on the TF site...as of yesterday at least), +200kg rear...so 110lbs front, 440lbs rear. Still not a concern for me though. I never wheeled with "real" bumpers in the past...so I should be fine without them now.

Edit: nevermind...I read their site wrong. You get more than 2" if you have less than 50kg...but you should still get 2" at 100kg. Either way...I will get before and after pics...assuming I remember.

Last edited by shaggy52282; 04-27-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking