Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random Power loss/Stumble/Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No the VSS.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Overlanding

Yes TPS as in the throttle position sensor. I didn’t unplug that one but the VSS, but I’m wondering if the throttle sensor could be at fault since my problem only occurs at at certain throttle position percentages. If that makes any sense lol I’m going to unplug the VSS and drive it again this weekend just to double check.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Overlanding

New VSS came in this weekend. Unplugged the old one, drove her down the highway for about 30mins with no issues. Put new one in and drove same highway and the issue still remains. Same issue with 30-70% throttle. I don’t even have to slow down to a certain speed to make it stop, just letting off gas going back into it make it stop for a second.

could there be a relation to the TPS and VSS by any chance? As in, the TPS works fine when VSS is unplugged but when the VSS is in there’s an electrical interference of some sort? If that makes any sense.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VSS and TPS interference with one another, I have not heard, Maybe someone else in here may know. I would drive around with the VSS wiring at the transmission unplugged for a few days, see what happens. You have a scanner/ Can you clear all the data? There are a few YouTube videos on how to test the TPS if you have digital multi-meter.
. I don't think there as many D1 owners in here any more to chime in.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 PM
Overlanding

Awesome thanks for all the input! I’ll keep looking into it and see what I can find!

Old 07-20-2020, 10:55 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

If you removed the VSS completely and the truck operated as it should have, something is wrong with the VSS.

If you installed a new VSS and the truck reverted to stumbling as described you either have a bad VSS (possible) or bad wiring to your VSS (my bet).

Old 07-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Overlanding

Bad wiring like I just need to get a new plug and replace the one that's on there or you think it could go further up the line?

Old 07-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I had all these issues. One after another, 96 d1. Turned out to be head gasket. Might be worth a check if its not your VSS wiring. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Overlanding

I do indeed have a slight external head gasket leak i'm about to get around to! I'm starting to think it might have something to do with that. It's nothing serious (at least looks that way) just a few droplets every once in a while. No misfires, white smoke, or milk shake. But maybe it'll stop once I get around to redoing the gasket.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Overlanding

Checking back in.

Walt, I think you were right! Replaced the VSS plug and about a good 5 inches of wire. Broke the plastic that held the two wires together so just cut a small coolant hose and wrapped it around them. Figured it might insulate them better too. Wrapped a small section of the exhaust pipe with exhaust wrap and sealed it from water.

I'm thinking the wire/plug got fried since the little shield was brittle and broke off back when I dropped the transfer case to reseal it. So, I took measures to reduce heat in that one specific area. Drove her last night for about 1hr and again today for 30-45mins. Both times getting up to around 70 on the highway. Every hill that used to trigger the issue failed to do so both times and she's running smooth on the highway!

For now anyway. . .

Thanks for all the help guys!

The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (08-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Random Power loss/Stumble/Misfire