Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Random vibration

im starting another thread about my vibration that I have. I had started about this when I rebuild my driveshafts but I'm thinking they are not the issue.

Starting from the begaining I have rebuilt my driveshafts re-installed and had vibration at 50 mph.
What I have done:
had them balanced- helped a little but still had some
replaced the front shaft to a double cardon I got from a junker- no vibration.
a few days later im out driving around no issues at all. Get back on the road to next location get a deep vibration at 40-45 mph. Did not feel it in my seat, sounded like it was in the dash/ top of windshield. After that stop I drove home between 35-65 mph nothing.

im at a loss on this, any ideas?

Last edited by aemnky606; 01-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

As it's happening, have you tried putting the transmission in neutral?

Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM
Winching

Yes I have and it is still there. No change at all.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

I might be something unrelated to the drive shafts (perhaps you did the job right!! ).

I'd check wheels/tires for balance. Cheap and easy.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Im with walt - almost like a rock stuck in the tread of the tire or something

"replaced the front shaft to a double cardon I got from a junker- no vibration" and those U-joints were ok or replaced Im guessing.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
Im with walt - almost like a rock stuck in the tread of the tire or something

"replaced the front shaft to a double cardon I got from a junker- no vibration" and those U-joints were ok or replaced Im guessing.
no I did not replace anything on the double cardon. It looked to be brand new. Grease was clean that was on the joints and it was nice and shiny. The truck had been rolled so I don't think it was on long.

I have eliminated the shafts: drove to work with just the front one and same issues. During lunch I put the back one on and removed the front no change. So I figure it is not the shafts.

At at lunch tomorrow I'm going to get the tires rebalanced, and go from there.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Motor and transmission mounts, sticking front or rear caliper pistons, shock mount, cracked spring, engine misfire, parking brake drum/shoes, the counter balance weight on the front axle....... a million things come to my mind if it isn't u-joint indexing.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Winching

Motor and trans mounts are just at a year old. They were replace when I pulled the motor for a rebuild. I have 2" lift springs with a year and a half on them and lowered shock towers that are second hand. I will check out the shock towers. I adjusted my parking brake when I rebuilt my shafts. I can loosen them and see if that helps. As for misfiring I have new coils 8mm wires and new plugs with a year on then. Axle weight is there and does not looked cracked but I will check it closer. Front rotors and calipers are new. I will go over everything very closely that you have listed and report back.

thank you,

walter

Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I'll add 2 things to check to your already long list.

> When was the last time the front wheel bearings were replaced or greased?
And maybe more important installed correctly with the Adjusting Nut torqued properly and the Lock Washer staked.
Also check that the shims and the circlip are in place on the CV axle so you have the proper end play.

> Might sound crazy but check the Panhard Rod Bushings! I had a similar thing/vibration happen on a '96 DI and the OE Panhard Rod bushings where the cause.
If you still have the original OE rubber bushings inspect them well. On my '96 the bushing where not all ragged out, but once I put a pipe wrench on the P rod and twisted it the stress cracked showed. The bushings where more worn on the side facing the axle. New Polybush bushings and the vibration was gone.
Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by OverRover
I'll add 2 things to check to your already long list.

> When was the last time the front wheel bearings were replaced or greased?
And maybe more important installed correctly with the Adjusting Nut torqued properly and the Lock Washer staked.
Also check that the shims and the circlip are in place on the CV axle so you have the proper end play.

I did front bearings 8 or so months ago I set torqued to rave and shims and clips installed.

> Might sound crazy but check the Panhard Rod Bushings! I had a similar thing/vibration happen on a '96 DI and the OE Panhard Rod bushings where the cause.
If you still have the original OE rubber bushings inspect them well. On my '96 the bushing where not all ragged out, but once I put a pipe wrench on the P rod and twisted it the stress cracked showed. The bushings where more worn on the side facing the axle. New Polybush bushings and the vibration was gone.

I replaced all bushings 6 or so months ago.
Good Luck!

Tire shop said all tires were spot on, even did not charge me. So on to the list this weekend.

Quick Reply: Random vibration