Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rattle noise in engine bay of a 97 Disco SD

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle noise in engine bay of a 97 Disco SD

My rover started making this clanging/rattle sound a few days ago. I changed the plugs and wires about a month-and-a-half and she is due for an oil change soon. I was at a conference at the beginning of this month and she sat idle for a week. Afterwards, the engine began sounding a bit diesel-y when cold. Below is a youtube video of the sound. Much of it is out of focus (the camera is manual focus and I was moving around to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from). It sounds similar to videos of bad cats, but I couldn't seem to verify this theory with my rubber mallet. Just watch the video and let me know, any help would be great. Ignore the part when I say "It's a '91."

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like something being turned by the belt. Take a broom handle or similar stick, and hold against each thing that is turned by the belt, with your ear at the other end. Makes it easy to hear what is making the noise, just like your family doctor ($35, come back next week, we'll look in your other ear, next!). Might be AC clutch, etc.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like exhaust getting out.
Does the noise almost go away when the truck is hot?

Check the manifold bolts and gaskets manifolds to heads.

Sort of a burbling noise.
Or a crack in the maniford.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Take off the belt. Noise goes away it was something turned by it.

SeaFoam induction cleaning (do outside) will reveal where exhaust may be leaking.

Murphys Law says it may be more than one thing, and it is unlikely to repair itself.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad bearing, remove the belt, start engine, noise gone, shut off engine, spin pulleys by hand until you find the culprit.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Savannah Buzz,
It does sound like it's coming from around that area. I will try removing the belt soon, but I have a feeling that it might be the Power Steering pump.

jfall,
I do smell exhaust by the engine when I start it, but I have no experience dealing with manifolds. How tight should their bolts be?

Spike555,
How will I know if a bearing is bad, will there be a lot of play?

Update: last night when I got off work, I was pulling out of the parking lot and it suddenly felt like the power steering was disabled. Turning the wheel, especially to the left, caused that steering noise. After the car warmed up, the steering worked, and I was able to go the 40 blocks home. Today, I took the wife's car. When I got home, I noticed that I had a leak on the asphalt underneath the PS reservoir. It had somehow leaked out of the top, which was on tight. The ATF fluid is now brownish and a little foamy. It smells like burnt oil. Here's a video of what happens when I turn the wheels.

Thanks for the help, guys

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

There is a weep hole in the power steering cap so if you overfill the system the excess fluid can leak out and not build up to much pressure and blow a hose.
If your power steering pump was not bad before it is now, you are out of fluid and the new noise you hear is the pump grinding itself to death.
The power steering on the DI uses Dexron III, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, you can use whatever you want as long as it is Dexron III.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling

The PS reservoir looks almost full. Is there a separate way to fill the pump?
If I did grind the PS pump to death, it would explain the brown ATF fluid.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

In the video it did not look full, but then again that was a video so I could have seen wrong.
You need to remove the belt and start the engine to see if the noise is gone, 99% chance it will be but we still need to be sure.
If you do like Buzz said and listen to the PS pump with a screw driver handle you will also narrow it down to the PS pump.
e-bay has good prices for new PS pumps.
You can go used if your budget it tight, plenty of Rover guys who sell used parts and are good guys on the forum.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I got a chance to listen (with a screwdriver) and it definitively sounds like the noise is located there. I called a shop we've gone to in the past to see what they thought. They said that it could also be the rack & pinion sounding through the pump, but with brown, burnt smelling ATF fluid, I'm pretty sure it's the pump. I read over the RAVE pdf for a pump exchange, and it seemed pretty simply, but it doesn't always work out that way. Any advice on the pump swap?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Rattle noise in engine bay of a 97 Disco SD