Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Read this if you have a High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to point out that I have changed my IACV multiple times with used ones and JUST replaced it with a new one for the heck of it. And you do NOT need to get your IACV calibrated. This is on the newer discovery Is with the IACV by the TPS. I believe 96 or 97+

As people have argued the computer closes it all the way at shutdown. This is true. So it returns to 0 everytime. The new one out of the box came open all the way I could tell by the way the plunger was so short, but I wasn't worried. I started the truck, it idled at 2200 RPMS. I turned it off waited 5 seconds it idled at 1400 then I shut it off and waited 5 more seconds started it up and Idle is at 700 RPMS. I guess this thing was so open it took a few shutdowns to close it all the way.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point Spence. I never thought about it but now that you mention it my brand new one also came in the full open position. When I first looked at it I thought it was the wrong one then realized it was just open all the way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So after replacing my ECM and alarm ecu the idle high idle is now different. On start up the engine will rev up and then drop 500-700 rpm from whatever it revved to, and then pick back up to 2200-2500 rpm.

This is after replacing the;

ECM and matching alarm ecu
used from an engine that didnt have this issue

iacv
brand new, $50 from autozone

all new vacuum lines

tps
used from a junk yard.
which im hunting for a new one now in a reasonable price.

maf sensor
still the same unit from the car

and if im reading right the vss could also be bad.

Now will i have to reset the ECM again after i replace all this?

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-23-2017)
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Possibly, that's exactlywhat mine did when my tps went bad. After a while it jumped to 2200 instantly. I would not recommend running anymore as I think
It may not be too late. But dint want to get your hopes up.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling

So even if i replace the tps, maf, vss its still to late for the ecm to relearn. Even with an adaptive memory reset? Just say yes first so that the pain of the no i think im going to get isnt as bad.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jordamf
So even if i replace the tps, maf, vss its still to late for the ecm to relearn. Even with an adaptive memory reset? Just say yes first so that the pain of the no i think im going to get isnt as bad.
No, its never too late to get the ecu reset. Im saying it might not NEED to be reseted yet, it may just be the TPS.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling

OK that sounds alot more hopeful than i actually am. If this works ill post everything ive done in more detail and where ive gotten parts.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Yes its alive!!!!!!! the tps did it and apparently was the problem all along. Im pissed cause i spent a bunch of money on other parts.

First things first, thank you everyone who gave me advice to fix this with out going to the stealership.

Now on to exactly what i did.

First i checked vacuum lines out. I found some that had issues, Replaced those with new hoses or junk yard items for the fitted hoses.

Next i replaced maf with one i found online not for more than i bought the rover for.
http://www.pgautosale.com/servlet/th...IR-FLOW/Detail

After that i cleaned out the throttle body so well you could eat out of it.

After that i replaced the iacv with one from autozone. it was under $50 bucks.

Then thanks to spencer fish i replaced the ECM and matching alarm ecu, he is right you need the matching alarm unit to start the vehicle.

After that and a bloody forehead and dented wall.

Then i replaced the tps, with one from rock auto for right under $100.

got it on connected the battery, and it still idiling high, not as high but high, so i took it for a nice stress relieving drive in the country. I pulled up to a four way stop and noticed that it was really quiet. Not going to lie, i threw it in park and jumped out the open window, and did a dance around my discobiscuit.

mr4x4 (08-23-2017)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got any pics?

How did you do the throttle body?

I would be concerned with the junkyard hose replacements. Maybe get a roll of that majic leak sealing tape they do ads for on TV, you know the guy who patnered with Billy Whoever, the one that died right after an airplane flight recently. Just in case your junkyard hose springs a leak.

mr4x4 (08-23-2017)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jordamf
Yes its alive!!!!!!! the tps did it and apparently was the problem all along. Im pissed cause i spent a bunch of money on other parts.

First things first, thank you everyone who gave me advice to fix this with out going to the stealership.

Now on to exactly what i did.

First i checked vacuum lines out. I found some that had issues, Replaced those with new hoses or junk yard items for the fitted hoses.

Next i replaced maf with one i found online not for more than i bought the rover for.
http://www.pgautosale.com/servlet/th...IR-FLOW/Detail

After that i cleaned out the throttle body so well you could eat out of it.

After that i replaced the iacv with one from autozone. it was under $50 bucks.

Then thanks to spencer fish i replaced the ECM and matching alarm ecu, he is right you need the matching alarm unit to start the vehicle.

After that and a bloody forehead and dented wall.

Then i replaced the tps, with one from rock auto for right under $100.

got it on connected the battery, and it still idiling high, not as high but high, so i took it for a nice stress relieving drive in the country. I pulled up to a four way stop and noticed that it was really quiet. Not going to lie, i threw it in park and jumped out the open window, and did a dance around my discobiscuit.
Sounds great!

Tip, I have been finding the back screw[wheel nut] on the trottle cable at the throttle likes to tighten its self, Also raising the idle

Quick Reply: Read this if you have a High Idle