Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Is that really my oil drain plug? Sanity Check.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is that really my oil drain plug? Sanity Check.

So, I'm doing some preventative maintenance on my newly acquired 96 Discovery. Changing fluids, greasing up joins, scraping up sludge etc.

I'm ready to change the oil. Climbing under the truck, I see what I am almost positive is the oil pan...swimming pool shaped reservoir (shallow end, sloping down to a flattened deep end. The oil filter is right there at the shallow end.

On the side on the oil pan is what I is the drain plug. But in a way, I'm hoping that I'm wrong about that. It's faily stripped, and looks like the copper (the washer, I assume) has been fused between the bolt and the pan. It almost looks welded. Maybe tomorrow I'll clean it off and try to get a good picture of it.

Anyway...does what I describe sound like the correct place to drain the oil? The plug is on the side of the pan, right?...not the bottom like most American and Japanese cars I've worked on.

I'll go and find a more suitable socket for that bolt...maybe get it off and get a new one from the dealer. The adjustable wrench I was using just made things worse.

Matt in Utah.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Winching

make sure you have the RAVE manual:
http://landroverresource.com/

Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that is your drain plug. Once you have it out you can go to any auto parts store and get a replacement. The copper washer is there to prevent it from leaking. Make sure when you replace the drain plug you also get a new copper washer with it. Most replacement drain plugs come with the washer but check to make sure before you leave the store.

As oysterhead mentioned, download the RAVE manual. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes on a DI they are on the side:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR4633G.cfm

Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

yes on everything everyone has said. I had a difficult time removing the darn thing. I didnt have a socket big enough and the socket at the local store was too long and I would have had to bring down the Y pipe to have enough clearance to use it. I ended up spraying liquid wrench and letting it sit for a few hours and then used an adjustable wrench and a metal pipe for leverage with the disco jacked up and done.

Last edited by jycsalas; 08-06-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The correct socket is a 1-1/16" (or 27mm), just like the lug nuts. Sometimes you can get it off easier by tapping the wrench with a hammer rather than twisting the nut until the corners found off.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
The correct socket is a 1-1/16" (or 27mm), just like the lug nuts. Sometimes you can get it off easier by tapping the wrench with a hammer rather than twisting the nut until the corners found off.
I tried that a few times first and then went with the wrench. Luckily those few taps probably helped to break it loose enough to use the wrench without turning the plug into a permanent washer.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worst case the oil pan is very east to remove! You would have to remove the steering stabilizer to get it out. Thats worst case though, hopefully you will get it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Ugh. I was babying it last night so I didn't worsen the rounding. Since I'm going to replace the plug though, I tried harder this morning. Tried an adjustable wrench and vice grips with no luck.

There are still enough flat sides on the bolt I think, so today I'll get the correct sized closed wrench or shallow socket and try the tapping/pulling method.

oysterhead, thanks for the link. I'm downloading the rave manual. I had one, but I don't think it was the right one.

jycsalas, thanks for the photo. That's the dude I'm trying to remove alright.

On a lighter note, I've been getting a lot of desludging done under the car. As I lie contemplating the bolt, I use a bit of degreaser and some rags. It's cleaning up nicely.

I'll roll the truck up on my ramps tonight. That'll help me get under there with more ease as well.

ps...since I'm new, here are some pics of my 96 discovery. It's in good shape, but has been neglected. I wonder how long it's been since the last oil change! Ack. http://themdg.org/pics/discovery/before/

Last edited by themdg; 08-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is a tip from your Uncle Spike, when changing the oil on a DI run both passenger side wheels up on your ramps, the oil will drain straight down instead of out the side and down your tire.
The u-joints will be easier to get to to grease them as well as the check/fill plugs on both your differentials.

Quick Reply: Is that really my oil drain plug? Sanity Check.