Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear Suspension "A" Frame Upper Link Bushing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Suspension "A" Frame Upper Link Bushing....

By eye balling my suspension and looking back at my last alignment, the rear is a little off. If you were to look down from a birds eye view, the rear axle should be a perfect "T" to the drive shaft. It looks like the axel is off about a degree or two (or more) on the passenger side. From looking though the RAVE and under the truck, the bushing that attach the arms to tube, center of the frame, should be change. Also, I noticed that the pivot ball joint cover is cracked.....

I see that AB has the Polybush in stock......- Land Rover from Atlantic British to order.....

Has anyone changed theirs? I read on other forums it is straight forward...

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I heard the A-Arm ball joint is a pain in the *****.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the A-arm frame side bushings or the axle side ball joint?

I have replaced the ball joint and it is not fun. Mine was clunking terribly bad and you could literally feel the play in the joint when you pushed on the a-arm. I put it in the press and it didnt budge. It took heating up it red hot and hitting it HARD with an air chisel.. When the ball assembly finally fell out it hit the ground and literally exploded and shot the ball joint/stud across the shop. Luckily it didnt hit anybody or anything because it is heavy and could have done some serious damage. I kept it as a souvenir . When reinstalling I used the press and made super sure the bolt holes were lined up so I wouldnt have to take it out again.

I replaced it with the x-engineering x-ball joint Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled... I dont remember paying that much for it.. This one you can tighten up the play which I havent had to do yet, and has a wider range of motion.

good luck

Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The ball joint still looks good, it is just the cover that is gone. Just need to put a new one and grease it....

Yes, the A-arm frame side bushings. It looks straight forward.....but something inside tells me there is a trick to all this....

Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Failed trailing arm bushings are sounding like a possibility especialy on an older D1, they will allow the whole axle assembly to move.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Failed trailing arm bushings are sounding like a possibility especialy on an older D1, they will allow the whole axle assembly to move.
That is what it looks like....1 degree off and the whole axle angle will be exagerated.

I just reviewed the rave and it looks straight forward. I just going to unbolt the arms from the frame with the ball joint housing. Unbolt the ball joint housing from the arms, then remove the old bushings. Then slap on the "Red" Polybushings. I chose the the hardest bushing to keep the rear as straight as possible....regardless of movement.

I now think my personal life, of maintaining my cars, is full time job....I need a bigger garage...

Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ordered the Orange set.....thanks again to Lucky8!

I just hope I get them before this weekend. They were pretty busy this Monday morning.....

Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Got the Poly's....now just need to find the time to put them in....
Name:  20121015_180029.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  84.6 KB

Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
I now think my personal life, of maintaining my cars, is full time job....I need a bigger garage...
i hear that! hah

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Please update as to how to goes. Iv considered replacing mine but I have a feeling it's a massive pita.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension "A" Frame Upper Link Bushing....