Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear view mirror replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear view mirror replacement?

Hi! I'm new here. I just recently bought a 97 discovery. And I've just noticed that the rear view mirror is, basically, knackered. It is the auto dimming one and I've noticed the yellow fluid is not where it is supposed to be. Does anyone know what I can use as a replacement? I've scouted on eBay and found some. Most also have the yellow fluid present or they're expensive.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Limo tint the rear window or snag the "You Dim" rearview mirror. Even if you find a used self dimming it won't be long before it isn't. Too expensive to buy new for a vehicle that is worth as much as. Great concept poorly executed.......

Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Snag the what?

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Limo tint the rear window or snag the "You Dim" rearview mirror. Even if you find a used self dimming it won't be long before it isn't. Too expensive to buy new for a vehicle that is worth as much as. Great concept poorly executed.......

Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

The type that YOU have to tilt, prismatic.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh right. Sorry. I'm a girl. What do you expect. LOL

Originally Posted by ihscouts
The type that YOU have to tilt, prismatic.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The old manual kind that seem to work better anyway, but I am old so, hey that may just be what I am use to.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI uses a special type of mount for the mirror so no other will fit.
I bought a aftermarket mirror that uses a standard General Motors mount, you can do the same thing.
Go to the auto recycler and buy a mirror from a Ford or what ever and then have a auto glass repair shop remove your old mirror and mount the new one.
Dont worry about the auto dimming, just tuck those wires up under the head liner.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a mirror that clamps over the old one at Pep Boys. I like it because its a little bigger than the old one so it covers it completely and I still have the map lights under the original mirror that still work, which is nice. My back window has limo tint so high beams don't bother me.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Three Wheeling

That's what I thought. But I wondered if one would fit from a discovery 2? I've found a replacement on eBay for $70 which I am considering. Either that or asking a friend back in Britain if they can find one at a junk yard. Not too many junk land rovers in my neck of the woods :-/

Originally Posted by Spike555
The DI uses a special type of mount for the mirror so no other will fit.
I bought a aftermarket mirror that uses a standard General Motors mount, you can do the same thing.
Go to the auto recycler and buy a mirror from a Ford or what ever and then have a auto glass repair shop remove your old mirror and mount the new one.
Dont worry about the auto dimming, just tuck those wires up under the head liner.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 98D1Chap
I bought a mirror that clamps over the old one at Pep Boys. I like it because its a little bigger than the old one so it covers it completely and I still have the map lights under the original mirror that still work, which is nice. My back window has limo tint so high beams don't bother me.
The ONLY problem with that is the fluid inside the mirror is HIGHLY corrosive and eventually it will leak out and when it does it WILL eat your dash, stereo, cellphone...anything it comes in contact with.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror replacement?