Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear windows not functioning and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear windows not functioning and other issues

Hello all,

Been driving this disco for a while now, been in the family since it was new but its starting to get some problems that I would like to address and need some help to get me going in the right direction.

1. Rear windows dont work at all, fuse just blows when the key is turned to the 'run' position. Thats about as far as I've gotten with that and my research yielded no results.

2. Truck has a frequent high idle at about 1500 RPM sometimes it comes down to normal sometimes its so low that it stalls when put into gear. I think it could be the idle stepper motor? I posted about this a while ago but I got a lot of replies that if I unplugged anything I'd have to get my ECU reset.

3. I installed new front wheel bearings and noticed that the splines on the axle are starting to round off. Do they sell these new or would a trip to the local pick and pull be the best bet. At the moment don't really need upgraded ones but those splines scared me.

4. Backed it into a pole about 2 weeks after I got it and then 'love tapped' a tree in the same spot showing the jeeps in the area how its done. Its on that skinny part on the rear quarter where the tail light is mounted. Ive searched high and low for confirmation on whether that is spot welded to the rest of the rear quarter or bolted in some way but couldn't come up with answers.

5. Last but not least the seals between the master cylinder and reservoir are leaking. Can I buy these or do I have to buy a new master.

If anyone has any experience with these problems and would like to drop some knowledge feel free to do so.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: Been working on the rear window problem. A bad switch was what was blowing the fuse but the windows still dont work. checked the solder joint it was good but I re-wet it anyways. I also did the jump wire like the one that atlantic british has but still nothing and now my passenger window wont roll up.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling

No one has anything on this?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also had bad switches (in the rear doors), bad wiring, and issues even after the window ECU was bypassed... check your wiring vs the schematic in the Haynes or RAVE and esp the rear window lockout switch and its ground- it supplies ground to both the rear windows.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Update 2 on the windows, Windows still don't work,front passenger won't move now either and my A/C stays on until I open a door when the ignition is off. All after I tried the jump the white/pink wires to the green/white. At a loss

Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I would disconnect the jumper and see if it helps. Pass window could be a bad relay on the computer board I have had the same issue with the pass side window and I used a couple of wires and a battery to get the window u. I found a replacement ECU on Ebay and swapped out mine. Now at least I have a spare to fix and keep on hand for the next time the windows act up.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Update 3: All the windows work now! The solder on the terminals for the small plug looked good but they weren't making contact. Re wet all the joints and everything works!