Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Recommended Spark Plugs for D1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to use bosch wires and NGK BPR6ES I have had very good luck with NGK . there is a set of ac delco in here now andI looked at them and they were quite black. Very new to the British way of building things ha ha

Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought new plugs yesterday. Went with the Champion coppers at Advance for 2 bucks each. I also got two of the 5.1 quart jugs of the Valvoline Extended life synthetic blend 10-40 for the summer. I had put in their 10-30 last change and it made an immediate difference in how smooth the engine performed. It immediately quieted the slight tapping I had heard randomly at idle, the engine felt a lot more responsive as well as quieter. The difference was pretty amazing to be just an oil change, but that was the only thing I did at all that time. First time I have had that kind of change on any vehicle. The big red jug 5.1 qt was on sale for 16.99, I got two at that price because a single quart is 6 bucks. I already picked up an oil pan gaket I want to throw on to try and stop a minor leak there. I want to add one of those sandwich type oil pressure senders and a guage as well sooner or later.

But our engines require more than 5.1 quarts (more like 7) . I like the way it improved it overall.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also I bought the ProLine Heavy Duty spark plug wires from Rovers North for 50 bucks and they have been fine. That extra fifty covered additional parts for me, also ordered crush washers at that same time for both the oil and tranny drain plugs so i would have extras on hand I got like 5 of each then so I got several little things at the same time since I was already paying shipping. I usually get new fasteners from them whenever I renew anything major on it. Just a good habit to develop. Right partt at a great price. Good practice to instill if you plan to keep it a long time.

One more small piece of advice, fix all the necessary things before you do ANY upgrades unless it is in conjunction with something you are doing like springs and shocks, that is the only thing you need to do to make it capable.

Make sure the CDL functions BEFORE you get in a situation where you NEED it.

Most of all, ENJOY YOUR ROVER.