Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)

OK, so earlier in the week the red "Service Engine" light kicked on. At first I freaked, but after a couple of searches on my phone it turns out that this is supposed to be an emissions maintenance reminder light.

In in any case, I bought a bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque app for my phone. I ran through the diagnostics, and there were no codes stored in the ECU and no red flags as far as I can tell. So I guess it is just the reminder. I have 84K on the odometer, and that seems like when the light comes on for some folks.

Now I am trying to determine how to reset that light. I think I need to pull the kick panel and poke a paper clip in some box or something, but beyond that, here is my question to the forum.

The RAVE says the light is an emissions maintenance reminder, but maintenance for which part of the emissions system? It doesn't specify.

O2 sensors need replaced? Something else?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes remove the passenger kick panel, there should be a little green box with the LR logo on a sticker, poke a paperclip through the sticker into the hole, this resets the light.
Once you rest the light, remove the green box, no more red emissions light...ever.
No nothing needs to be done to your truck unless you have trouble codes for O2's or cats or whatevers.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes remove the passenger kick panel, there should be a little green box with the LR logo on a sticker, poke a paperclip through the sticker into the hole, this resets the light.
Once you rest the light, remove the green box, no more red emissions light...ever.
No nothing needs to be done to your truck unless you have trouble codes for O2's or cats or whatevers.
Cool.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's some pix

Attached Thumbnails Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)-reminder-3.jpg   Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)-reminder-2.jpg   Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)-reminder-1.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you find the right box the hardest part is making paper clip touch contacts inside relay. Just poke around a little and it will go off may have to turn car on and off for it to recognize it's been tripped.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Walko327
Once you find the right box the hardest part is making paper clip touch contacts inside relay. Just poke around a little and it will go off may have to turn car on and off for it to recognize it's been tripped.
Took me a few minutes to find the box and wiggle my hand and the paper clip into the small space above it. A couple pokes and it went off!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Took me a few minutes to find the box and A couple pokes and it went off!
Um...sorry to hear that.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys. Going to turn mine off in the morning.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why turn it off? Just unplug the box and toss it in a pond, you'll probably need to repair something long before that light comes on again anyway. You don't need the little red box for ANYTHING, it's just dead weight.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmao spike. It happens to some huh? Chris that's good to hear took me a few mins to get it to go off as well.

Quick Reply: Red Service Engine Light (emissions maintenance?)