Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Relocate Airbag Diagnostic Control Unit -SRS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Relocate Airbag Diagnostic Control Unit -SRS

Gutting the interior completely out of my Disco and I've come to the Airbag Diagnostic Control Unit mounted under the console cubby. Does anyone know what that box does exactly? In other words, does it contain another crash sensor (current horizontal mounting) or is it just the box that fires the airbags after receiving a signal from the frame crash sensors? I want to relocate it to a less conspicuous location while keeping it still protected but I don't want an airbag in the mush.......and it's not really all the beautiful, the yellow harness and box is clashing with the curtains.......

Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey there IH, let's play nice here. I found your answer.

Airbag Center: Airbag Module | Airbag Resets | Airbag Light Repair

Airbag Control Module:

The airbag control module is also known as the airbag sensor, diagnostic unit, computer module, 591 and other names. They are mounted in different locations throughout the vehicle. Some common places are under the driver and passenger seat, center console, kick panel, under radios and behind the steering column. The airbag control module is good until a deployment occurs. However most modules can be reset.

Airbag Control Module Types:

During a collision the airbag control module receives information from the impact sensor, which then, relays a signal to deploy the airbags. The airbag sensor is then locked until it is either replaced or reprogrammed. Each vehicle can have many types of modules depending on which SRS features were equipped with the car. On start-up, the module checks the SRS system and reports any errors.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmmm, sheds light on remounting.....thanks. My biggest concern was whether it also contains a sensor but it appears not to. I can mount it anywhere and on any axis as long as it can remain protected. I may just remove the SRS entirely, haven't decided yet.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Hmmm, sheds light on remounting.....thanks. My biggest concern was whether it also contains a sensor but it appears not to. I can mount it anywhere and on any axis as long as it can remain protected. I may just remove the SRS entirely, haven't decided yet.
Yah there's no sensor per se inside the unit, let's just call it a router from the crash signal to the airbags so you should be able to mount on any axis.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, the site you posted is what I was after, I didn't even think of Googling it. I've been on the web reading about them. If the Rave had the circuit diagram I could have determined what was in the box......

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Yep, the site you posted is what I was after, I didn't even think of Googling it. I've been on the web reading about them. If the Rave had the circuit diagram I could have determined what was in the box......
Yah I'm pretty sure by the time the tech writers put the RAVE together they revolted as our vehicles are so idiosyncratic they'd be adding on the fly.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Camel Trophy

Well said.