Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removed the K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone want the K&N?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
You don't need the whole head gasket set just to do the valley pan gasket. All you need is about a $30 gasket set.

K&N's claim to fame is better breathing. The only way to do that is to pass more air. The only way to pass more air is larger pores in the filter. Larger pores lets through more dirt.
We run a K&N on the Modified, 1050 CFM Carb, 650+ Hp in a dirt Modified.
We run a dirt deflector on the hood to knock down the chunks and we have no problems at all with junk in the carb. Picture shows us after a race night.
We run a "SOCK" over the filter if the track is sand clay but other than that just the K&N

Attached Thumbnails Removed the K&N Air Filter-mvc-001s.jpg  

Last edited by georgep; 10-03-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Does anyone want the K&N?
im interested, Id like to do some tests with it.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I never said people don't run K&N's, lots of people do. What I said was that they let in more dirt than a good paper filter. That's been proven and anyone who cares to can do a little search and find the information.

I think it's interesting that according to K&N's warranty, it's voided if you use the filter off-road. I'm not sure where they think you'd most likely use one of their filters they list for dirt bikes.
I've no idea really why someone would buy a product from a company that voids the warranty for something used in it's intended application. But maybe that's just me.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Baja

George, that is a fine looking beast you got there.

I put the K&N on to boost the HP. Then I read about issues with it on here. So I went back to the paper filter, no real difference in response, a little different sound. It runs smooth as can be on the paper one. Guess the key is keeping a clean one on it. When I bought my Disco, the air filter was really nasty and there was dried mud and dust everywhere.

It gets cleaner everytime I work on it.

George, love your collection. I had a 86.5 32V 928 for a few years. What a blast to drive to work. I found the most curvy backroads possible for that commute.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The issues you read about are on the D2. The D1 MAF is more robust and will stand up to a cleaning. I ran a K&N, then paper, then back. I have a spare MAF in case I have a problem, but I have been running the K&N again for a little over 2 years with MAF cleaning annually. No problems at all.

Again, this is on a D1, not the Bosch D2. The Bosch will not stand up to a cleaning, and when I say cleaning, I mean a proper one with MAF cleaner...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Baja

I was bitched out for running the K&N, so I figured I would just go back to the paper at 12 bucks. I figured why risk it.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The issues you read about are on the D2. The D1 MAF is more robust and will stand up to a cleaning. I ran a K&N, then paper, then back. I have a spare MAF in case I have a problem, but I have been running the K&N again for a little over 2 years with MAF cleaning annually. No problems at all.

Again, this is on a D1, not the Bosch D2. The Bosch will not stand up to a cleaning, and when I say cleaning, I mean a proper one with MAF cleaner...
Agree 100% on the Bosch problem. that fine wire they use just looks for a reason to die. Lost one on a Mercedes and was told it was from excess oil, problem was NO K&N on that car just some street stuff I guess.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling

George, that is a fine looking beast you got there.

I put the K&N on to boost the HP. Then I read about issues with it on here. So I went back to the paper filter, no real difference in response, a little different sound. It runs smooth as can be on the paper one. Guess the key is keeping a clean one on it. When I bought my Disco, the air filter was really nasty and there was dried mud and dust everywhere.

It gets cleaner everytime I work on it.

George, love your collection. I had a 86.5 32V 928 for a few years. What a blast to drive to work. I found the most curvy backroads possible for that commute.
It is from your state, car ran at Grandview in Pa. I agree the 928 is a blast I have my 82 parked since I am spending more time with the "dog" now. Git to find the Electrical problem on the 84 then get it repainted. I MIGHT then sell my 1982 which had had some work done to it under the hood and is super quick.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was bitched out for running the K&N, so I figured I would just go back to the paper at 12 bucks. I figured why risk it.
I was there several years ago. I got another MAF and decided to try for myself. This another good reason for splitting the D1 and D2 forums. The MAF's are totally different.

I will say that I have had no ill effects from runing a K&N, but I haven't really seen an "improvement". I have also taken off the silencer and ran a pipe through the headlight assembly to draw cooler air in. Again, no noticable improvement.

In the past I have suggested not using one purely because most people don't clean and oil the filter right, and most importantly, don't know how to clean the MAF right. If you have any residue on the hot wire and turn it on, it is toast.

Quick Reply: Removed the K&N Air Filter