Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removed steering wheel to center. . now clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removed steering wheel to center. . now clicking

So having an airbag makes centering the wheel a PITA. disconnect battery, wait 20 min, try to get it centered. Disconnect battery, wait 20 min, try again.

After installing the wheel, I have a clicking sound from the multi function ring. Is it aligned wrong or something. Do I need to reseat something I missed.

Any help here would be . . .helpful.

Thanks,

Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You pushed your combi switches in too far on the steering column.
There is a locking pin on the clock spring that keeps it from turning when you remove the steering wheel.
If the combi switches are pushed in too far the pin will lock the clock spring and it will click.
Carefully grab the turn signal and wiper stalks, wiggle and pull them toward the steering wheel until the noise goes away.

The following users liked this post:
firstgeer (07-20-2018)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why remove the steering wheel at all?

The steering wheel is centered up by adjustment of the Drag Link, not removing and rotating the steering wheel.

The RAVE covers that somewhere. Look up Drag Link.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Why remove the steering wheel at all?

The steering wheel is centered up by adjustment of the Drag Link, not removing and rotating the steering wheel.

The RAVE covers that somewhere. Look up Drag Link.
Ditto. Steering wheel should never be removed for a fifth wheel alignment for our steering systems.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried 4x to center my steering at the link. I am yet to get it straight...I am always just one tooth off....uggg..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Other than personal preference or OCD for perfection, does it truly need to be absolutely straight?

WTFWWYB!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to remove the wheel after replacing the steering box because I rotated the steering shaft while the box was out and it was like 90 degrees off, not one or two teeth. There isn't that much adjustment in the drag link to fix a 90 degree error. Since I can't get the universal joint off the steering box now while it is in the car (due to buggered up teeth on the input shaft on the rebuilt steering box, see post on another topic) my only choice was to remove the wheel to get things straight.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to remove mine cause the clockspring started to shred producing tiny but long shreds of metal where the wheel meets the column. started to create drag and made steering a *&%#. removed the clockspring and she steers great. no horn or airbag now but she turns nice. i wonder if i should put a new clockspring in.

also, she's definitely not 100% straight. minimal and easily dealable. don't even notice anymore. was told it was a result of the lift.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Jeff, sounds like you were forced to do something other than a normal adjustment since that was not a typical problem. Good luck with it. I avoid doing things like that whenever possible.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much! This worked to fix the clicking from my steering column. No work had been done on mine, just one day started clicking. I wiggled the signal and wiper back. Now, no more clicking!

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
You pushed your combi switches in too far on the steering column.
There is a locking pin on the clock spring that keeps it from turning when you remove the steering wheel.
If the combi switches are pushed in too far the pin will lock the clock spring and it will click.
Carefully grab the turn signal and wiper stalks, wiggle and pull them toward the steering wheel until the noise goes away.