Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Aligning the Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Aligning the Steering Wheel

Steering wheel is off a tick to the left. Just enough to obscure the fuel gauge.
Front wheel alignment is spot on with the steering box centralized.
Drives and tracks straight.
I have read that it's the drag link that needs adjusting, or lower steering column, or remove steering wheel and adjust on upper column.

Don't think I need to mess with anything under the truck and am leaning towards poking around at the steering column under the hood.

I know that sometime before it was mine someone was meddling around with the ignition switch and bits in that area. (Ignition switch looks like it was changed out and sheer bolts where removed with a punch and hammer)

Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

go for the drag link....not that hard to do....and you'll avoid possible trouble with the "clock spring" in the steering wheel coming un -glued.
it's likely that ony a turn or so will straighten the wheel to where you want it

Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I haven't had my Disco's wheel off, but just about every steering wheel I've had off since the early 60's was indexed in some way (maybe a larger spline), so just moving it a 'tic' wasn't an option. And even those that were back in the old days, when ya moved it on the steering shaft, the blinker return would be off and horn connector not always line up. So, even when you could move it, it solved one problem but created another one or two. Ya never know ...Land Rover does crazy things so maybe you can just move it a notch.

The steering gears are machined in such a way so as to be high-center (tighter) at the exact center point of the steering box and there is more play as you get off center. (which happens mostsly in the center where the steering resides most) the steering stays tight. So you want to be 100% sure you're not moving it to the point where it's 'close' to center, but just a tick off because then you may be residing at the point where the steering gear is in a position where there is more play and your steering starts to feel less tight.

Best is to look at the steering gear input shaft where it goes into the steering box and see if there's a flat spot ground on the shaft. A lot of steering boxes there is. If so, position the flat spot horizontally and that's probably the exact center. Check the steering wheel position. If the wheel isn't off, then adjust it underneath. If the steering wheel IS off center, when the steering box is positioned in it's center position, maybe something has become bent, or someone else previously mis-aligned the steering wheel and you can turn it back to where it should be.

Last edited by Mark G; 08-03-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

My steering wheel is off center, I had an issue with the clamp for the steering shaft to the steering gear came lose. Luckily it failed completely when I was parked, but I tightened it off center a bit and when i adjust it, seems I always go too far the other way.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

XCELLER8, Mark,
After the tie rods were replaced, I aligned the front-end with the steering box centralized. Think the issue is before the steering box.
jimvw57,
Found some loose bits. Same as yours?

Attached Thumbnails Aligning the Steering Wheel-steering-shaft-lower.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hrhoward
XCELLER8, Mark,
After the tie rods were replaced, I aligned the front-end with the steering box centralized. Think the issue is before the steering box.
jimvw57,
Found some loose bits. Same as yours?
with the box "centralized" and the allignment done.....the steering wheel is adjusted by the drag link...(the link that attaches to the pitman arm on the box )
loosen each end of it so you can turn the rod to adjust it, only a turn or so will make a big difference inthe steering wheel position.

as long as the steering turns equally left and right, that should be all you need to do, it's really simple and should only take a couple trials to get it straight....waaaaaaay easier than removing the splines and so on for the joints on the input shaft....been there ....

Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

The clamp for the bottom of the steering shaft that attaches it to the steering box input was about to fall off on mine. still a bit to the left of center, but at least I can steer now.