Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removing climate controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing climate controls

I need to remove my climate control unit to diagnose a possible faulty snowflake switch. my dash piece is really brittle, i dont want to break it. can anyone help me with the removal of this piece? ive never done it before.

thanks!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

pull the ac switch from the front it should just pop out...
alternatively you can push it from behind if you remove the cup holders.

otherwise, take the ***** off the temp selectors there are a few screws under there
4 screws holding the main assembly to the larger bezel. a couple screws behind the accessory inserts (ashtray/coin/clock etc) as well as 1-2 up top (pull the radio and you will see them)

or look at the rave, it may have pretty pictures

Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. I am having problems using the rave. When I downloaded it asked me to burn it to a cd

Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

last link on this page... wmlj970e.pdf

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

On the rave, took me a while too. I burned mine to a CD first because I wanted to keep for archive ...then I copied the contents back to my PC and it opened from there.

One of the most confusing things for new users is when you first open it up sometimes (depending the icon you click on), is ya get a small grey screen that doesn't have anything on it (at least mine does). It appears like it hasn't fully loaded and there's no buttons to click on. But if you click somewhere in the middle of the box, it opens up the manual. When my wife was putting it on another laptop she spent over 1/2 hour or more struggling to get it to work, and I just clicked on the box and it opened up..she was baffled, but that's how mine works sometimes.

The other thing that seems to throw off some users at first is (at least this is how mine works ...and I downloaded my a few years ago, so maybe something has changed), but the manual uses the resident Adobe reader that is within the files you download. It's version like 4.0. So, what I've seen is when you first go to open it up, some computers will flag the user to use the copy of Adobe reader on their PC which will surely be newer ...and if you agree to that, it won't work. You need to let it use the copy within the Rave manual. And the fist time you go to open it it up you might get a warning that an older version of Adobe is attempting to install, do you want to allow? The logical thing to do is say 'no' but you need to let it use the Adobe that comes with the manual. It doesn't install 4.0 anyway, it uses the one on the CD, or within the files. At least that's how it works on my older copy of Rave.

Someone advise me if they changed it. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Okay thanks! I'll try this and update

Old 10-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

BTW, I don't know if I made it clear, but it runs just fine off the CD also w/o having anything installed on your computer. That's why they put Adobe within the folder ...so you COULD just run it off the CD. But if you xfer the files you can also run off the PC w/o using the CD too. I just run it off the CD for my normal PC, but when I go on vacation or wheeling I have installed on a little netbook PC that doesn't have a CD drive.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Drifting

woohoo. figured it out. the ac controls do not pop out or pull out. the radio, clock, hazard signal, ash tray, cruise control button have to be removed to take out the screws that hold the fascia in place. then you have to remove the left and right control ***** to access the ac control face plate. then you can remove the last 2 screws. you pull the fascia off to gain access to the ac controls. then i pulled the control unit down a bit and pushed out the snowflake button, recirculate, and rear ac buttons to repair them. i am going to post a 'how to" thread tomorrow with lots of pics that should probably be stickied...

Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so what i said

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
last link on this page... wmlj970e.pdf

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

WOAH BEST POST IN HISTORY!!! amazing place. thank you

Quick Reply: Removing climate controls