Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Repacking wheel bearings on a 96 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repacking wheel bearings on a 96 Disco?

Hey guys. I went to get my 96 Disco safety inspected and they failed me because the front drivers side wheel bearing was bad (and advised the passenger side fixed too). My friend told me the only time a wheel bearing would go bad is if you can hear it making noise, which it wasn't so he said they failed me because it was loose.

Does anyone know how to repack and retighten wheel bearings on Discoverys so I can pass safety? I'll try checking that 95-96 Manual on the RAVE website as well as the RAVE manual, but just wondering if anyone has had experience doing this...

Thanks a ton guys!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a ton of write-ups out there tahat are pretty good so please do a search on the web. You have to totally dissasseble the front hubs to get to the wheel bearings, which means you will be pulling the wheel, removing the hub, which requires a special adapter socket to do it correctly and easily, new lockwashers and gaskets, I would get new seals, the double lip variety used in the Defender, possibly new bearings, maybe the existing ones are good enough, maybe not. You will need a good wheel bearing grease.

You will also be down to the brake rotors, so take a good look at everything while you are in there. And be careful not to break the rigid metal brake lines going to the caliper when you remove everything.

Read up on it before you jump in thinking it is real simple. It is not too difficult unless it is really corroded and such, which it may very well be.

And your friend is incorrect about the bearings, they should be serviced regularly or they can become a disaster if the the bearing overheats and melts down and welds itself in place, which does tend to happen when ignored. And do them in pairs per axle, not individually after they fail, it's much cheaper that way.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, just to make it a longer job and since you haven't been keeping ip on the bearing maintance, plan on replacing all 4 sets of bearing and seals and on the front service the swivels, change the fluids in both diff's and the t/case and set the pre load on the front swivels or you will be looking at some huge expenses as they start to fail.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

At the age of your vehicle and if the bearings were loose, and not maintained as it sounds like, I'd figure on replacing them all.
That is
- 8 of Timken SET37, SKF BR37, *** KIT38 or National A-37 (available at any parts store)
- 4 of hub seal RTC3511 (available from any Rover parts supplier like http://www.rovahfarm.com/)

Do check your swivel preload, but if it's too light just get a rebuild kit, don't fool with removing shims (unless $$ are tight) as you'll be doing a rebuild anyway before long.
If you don't do the swivels now (assuming your steering is tight) it won't cost you anymore to do it later, other than time.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These guys are absolutely right. I stopped short. And don't listen to your friends advice concerning your Discovery. After all it is about 15 years old and apparently has not been adequately maintained.

If you want it to be around and enjoy it, you have a good bit of catch-up to do. Definitely service those diffs and T/C and swivels. Take to time to study the sections in the RAVE and get together kits for each assembly and logically work your way thru it to prevent some nasty problems that can quickly develop and ruin your day, your night, your bank account...............