Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

To repair or not to repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
zee
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by georgep
Dumb Question, WHAT COLOR is the LSC? Reason if it is the White Gold there where only 200 built I have one and if any of these will go up it will be the limited production ones. If it is a 50th and marked as such you have another group of people who would want that one for more then the going price of the others.
The LSC was the top of the line in Late 1997 in White Gold, Lightstone Leather there where 200 in that color. The Late 1997/1998 had a 50th Anniversary sticker in the cargo window on a LSC package. NO idea how many done that way. Looks like ALL had the sticker.
My old post since then I have found out that there where only 100 in 1998 with that package on them.
So color and condition should play into your thoughts.
If I had my P38 engine problem which was like yours I would still have bought a rebuilt engine since I like the car.
its a LSE, may be i typed it wrong earlier. its an epsom green one. so not the rare ones you are talking about. however reading all the feed back now i am pretty sure i will keep mine and take on the repairs myself.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
So you'd sell a non-running Disco? Good luck with that venture. Unless you know the part value or the scrap value you will be offered less than both and made to think that the head gasket repair is rocket science until you capitulate into giving it away......probably to your mechanics buddy.
I bought a VERY bad running D1 for $400. More than made my money back off of it and still have a lot of parts left.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
zee
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
With 150k the engine has lots of life left.
I highly doubht it needs a valve job, the valves on these things are hardened and made to be used with all kinds of crap fuel from all around the world.
I assume the truck is paid for, so do you want a car payment again?
Do you want to start all over with another car that you dont know the history of?
I'd have him do the head gaskets and call it good.
$1500 is the going rate for head gaskets at a shop, parts included.
All the replies are very helpful and i think i will attempt this myself. at worst this will be a few hundred dollars of learning about engines. i hate a new car payment and i love my old cars. the only hesitation i had was not doing this before but it looks like a lot of information is available in the manual and guys on this forum are very helpful. thanks , i will start work on it and keep you guys posted.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Camel Trophy

A shop would probably charge around $1200-2000 for a HG job.
You can do it yourself for far less. I would suggest talking to Will Tillery. He had a very good deal on the Gasket/bolt kits along with machined heads a while back. Se if he can still make that deal. $510 isn't bad.
Head Gasket Job Special - DiscoWeb Message Boards
The issue you may run into is how many other parts are worn out or should be replaced since you have things apart?
I would(and did) use the money you save by doing it yourself to do other PM while you're in there. Power Steering hoses, radiator hoses and Tstat, oil pump, water pump, plugs/wires, tensioner pulley(or at least the bearing). Possibly even the lifters and camshaft, and timing.
And invest in some tools. You will need a 5/16" 12pt socket for the valve cover bolts. A 9/16" deep 6pt(IIRC) socket for the heads. A breaker bar for sure. An air ratchet makes life MUCH easier.
And buy the In Search Of The Experience DVD. in search of the experience
A great family DVD about a Rover adventure and a very good HG How-To at the end.
Read lots of forum posts for tips and tricks. The biggest things is to clear ALL the debris from around the head bolts. Every last little bit. The socket needs to sit perfectly on the bolt. Any kind of angle to the socket and you will probably round off the bolt heads=not good. Start with the bolts closest to the firewall.
Good luck!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum is like one big group of LR doctors! We all help each other figure out what is wrong with there truck! Don't forget to mark the bolts that hold the hood to the latches. They are some what of a pain to realign if you don't mark them. By marking them I mean take a marker and go around the outside of the bolt.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I bought a VERY bad running D1 for $400. More than made my money back off of it and still have a lot of parts left.
Fast N' Loud is my new favorite show on Discovery, turn and burn.

Where's HH65 when you need him? Great example of someone who didn't know Disco's and turned a bucket into a diamond after replacing head gaskets and freeze plugs......

Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Where's HH65 when you need him?
Lol he posted that he sold his truck a while ago and moved on to something else. Doesn't come around much anymore...

Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Camel Trophy

I met a guy through CL with a 95 R380 carb conversion going through same dilemma, sell or keep. Interested in trades so I went and looked. Just had heads done by a shop and made it 8 miles down the road before cooling let go. $1200 bucks down the drain. He just bought it for $1800 plus $1200 plus towing and it's now a lawn ornament. I offered to get him squared away for my gas plus parts. He and his wife love it so that's most of the battle. Dollar wise it's worth the intake (carb sucks) and the R380 and I told him so.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by geek_IM
Lol he posted that he sold his truck a while ago and moved on to something else. Doesn't come around much anymore...
So typical for a Shallow Water Navy type.........Green Bay isn't a port of call I'd consider exotic not to mention the cheese......whew.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
This forum is like one big group of LR doctors! We all help each other figure out what is wrong with there truck! Don't forget to mark the bolts that hold the hood to the latches. They are some what of a pain to realign if you don't mark them. By marking them I mean take a marker and go around the outside of the bolt.
I did my heads without removing the hood. Use a ratchet strap or rope to the roof rails to hold the hood open all the way.

Quick Reply: To repair or not to repair