Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replaced my Rod bearings finally.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replaced my Rod bearings finally.

Finally had some time to take care of my rattling rod bearings. They were really bad too. The repair job went nice and smooth. One thing that really ticked me off today was when I had pulled off my timing cover to replace the oil pump and inspect the timing chain. I had previously removed my oil pump from my old 97D1 before I scrapped the engine. What I didn't notice then, that I noticed today, was that the oil pump was not the one I had payed a mechanic shop to install. I was in Afghanistan in 2009 and my father in-law was driving my 97D1 for a while. While he was driving one day the oil pressure light came on and he pulled over to have a tow truck tow it to a mechanic shop. This mechanic shop told him that the oil pump had shattered. Well he told me and I purchased the pump with all the seals necessary to perform the repair job. $700 dollars later and two years later I noticed that this pump was not new. It had thick dry oil residue in the key slots. This thick oil residue only appears from long exposure and heat. I got back from afghanistan and only drove the truck for three months before the transmission wire harness cought fire and destroyed most of it. Today I was going to drop it in my 99D1. Nope, had to re-use the old one. After all that work to get the timing cover off. What I always do is make sure the mechanic shop shows me or gives me back all the parts they remove. If they do not want to give you your old part back, don't pay them. Damb thieves. Well besides that little problem today. Everything went well. I had removed the radiator to clean and service it. Everything looks good.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

How hard of a job was this? Were you able to do this with the engine in place? Any tips? This job is in my future.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratz on a job well done!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just placed the front differential on jack stands to get some crawl space, and jacked up on the frame to get the clearance needed to remove the sump pan. The rod bearing repair was too easy. Plenty of room for a 1/4 inch torque wrench. The radiator came out nice and easy. The waterpump came off next and then the timing cover. I pressure washed everything and wire brushed the water pump because some rust was developing on the pump propeller. Next weekend I will be pulling the top half off to inspect and service. I'll remove the valve covers and intake & Plennum. I want to get a good look at the cam. I could see it from underneath but not real well. Figure I'll just clean the engine up real good and look for wear.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
Just placed the front differential on jack stands to get some crawl space, and jacked up on the frame to get the clearance needed to remove the sump pan. The rod bearing repair was too easy. Plenty of room for a 1/4 inch torque wrench. The radiator came out nice and easy. The waterpump came off next and then the timing cover. I pressure washed everything and wire brushed the water pump because some rust was developing on the pump propeller. Next weekend I will be pulling the top half off to inspect and service. I'll remove the valve covers and intake & Plennum. I want to get a good look at the cam. I could see it from underneath but not real well. Figure I'll just clean the engine up real good and look for wear.
Congrats on your job! I did, as you may or may not remember the oil pump and timing chain sprocket replacement last week. I also removed the radiator! I think I fixed my oil light with a new pressure sensor! Basically I did 10 hrs of work for preventative maintenance? Which is COMPLETELY FINE IN MY EYES!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Nicely done. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the radiator? Could it be done by just removing the fan and water pump/timing?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by fishEH
Nicely done. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the radiator? Could it be done by just removing the fan and water pump/timing?
It would make it a lot easier (knowing from doing a timing chain and oil pump) The risk of damaging it goes down as well. It is only 2 bolts, 4 rubber hoses, 2 oil lines and 2 transmission oil lines. The oil/ transmission lines are the ones that get all gunked up and break off if your not careful. They are really expensive....

Old 09-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
It would make it a lot easier (knowing from doing a timing chain and oil pump) The risk of damaging it goes down as well. It is only 2 bolts, 4 rubber hoses, 2 oil lines and 2 transmission oil lines. The oil/ transmission lines are the ones that get all gunked up and break off if your not careful. They are really expensive....
So are you up to par now with your oil pressure? Still ticking? How smooth is your idle? Apologies for the slight highjack but Mr. Atancreti has PM'd me allot over the course of his oil pressure safari.

Congrats LRD2&ME on the new shells, extremely easy to do and more should do so. Did you happen to use new cap bolts?

Last edited by ihscouts; 09-04-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
So are you up to par now with your oil pressure? Still ticking? How smooth is your idle? Apologies for the slight highjack but Mr. Atancreti has PM'd me allot over the course of his oil pressure safari.

Congrats LRD2&ME on the new shells, extremely easy to do and more should do so. Did you happen to use new cap bolts?
I think my safari has came to a end. I replaced my oil pressure sensor and after 200 miles of highway and city driving I have no lights!!! SHH if I say it to loud she will not start in the morning or have a leak again.
P.S Thanks for the Mr. Atancreti.