Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replaced Trans with used one, Its a no go. FML

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Trans with used one, Its a no go. FML

I got the used trans from a scrap yard the, guy said it drove at the yard, it was out of a roll over. My truck is a 95 the trans is a 96. My old trans only had reverse, when I got it, it would move forward barely if it wasnt up hill I parked it and it wouldnt move except in reverse, which it would go backwards no problem no slip at all.

I pulled the old trans and it looked identical to the new one. The only difference was the flywheels and the torque converters. I decided to use the 95 Flywheel and converter with the 96 trans because it worked on the old trans and I did not want to spend the extra 2min to swap flywheels. The two both looked completly different. The 96 had something for a sensor on it.

Well I get it all back together and put 7qts of trans fluid in just to start, I get in start it up shift through all the gears then get out and check the level, The stupid thing is reading way over full. It will not move in any gear and Ive only put 7qts in it says 9.5 empty.

Now I am very mad at this stupid thing, Ive never dealt with a trans so difficult to pull now I have to do it again.

What do you guys think is the prob. Do I have to use the 96 converter with the 96 trans? Did I maybe not get the converter seated? I moved it and turned it and jiggled it when I put it on i figured it was all the way on. Also is it possible to get this thing to seat with out pulling the trans? It seems the trans is not pumping the fluid is why it is still reading overfull.

Word.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I would have used the TC that came with the transmission. Perhaps the reason your have no forward gears in your old transmission is that the TC is bad, and you aren't getting enough pressure.