Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

replacing rear bench seats with front seats

Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default replacing rear bench seats with front seats

Has anyone replaced the rear (or middle if you have an SE7) bench seat with a pair of genuine front seats?
My kids fall asleep returning from games and they slump badly in the back. Both are complaining of neck and back problems.
I've got a pair of SD front seats (cloth ones with no electrics) but didn't get the seat boxes. I'm asking for ideas and/or example so that I don't re-invent the wheel.
Reclining rear seats would be great!
After that I want smaller seats (from a FIT or Firefly, the front Discovery are too big) for forward facing back seats, bringing the seating up to 6 (team mates).

SD

Attached Thumbnails replacing rear bench seats with front seats-switch-001-red-1-150x150.jpg   replacing rear bench seats with front seats-ejector-seat-150x150.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

They might be too tall, and there would be no way of mounting then without making new seat frames and welding metal supports the anchor the seats to.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally, cars have a bracket mounted to a slider, then mounted to the seat. For LR's, the sliders is mounted to the "box".

The only way to know is to try it.

If it works out, then you have the gap inn between to deal with. You can possibly retrofit storage box or cooler in the middle....that would be awesome!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The way the floors are lower in the footwells and higher in the rear also complicates it.

Mine only has the two front seats in it currently and I like it that way.

Another alternative for you is to do something similar to the Defenders rear seats, two benches mounted facing each other!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has the two front seats and the double seat in the back without the single third seat. It gives me a long bed for stuff. it's an SE6 now.

i also have the fold out seats. they're not for doing any distance or for bigger kids for too long but i like em in a pinch.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Mudding

I appreciate your comments.
The "in between" of the seats would remain empty so that one of the kids can be banished to the back to separate them (when I'll fit tiny rear seats, probabily from a 2 door Firefly).
This week end I removed the driver seat to look at the seat box construction and found rust... Abit more removals and discovered a 6" rust hole and very thin metal. The passenger is just surface rust.
It was a good excuse to purchase a MIG (Hurrahh!!!).
Removing the back bench will be under "But honey, I need to inspect the condition of the rear floor".
I worry that this project will be delayed untill the spring since the Boxter will go in storage (her car, didn't I say that she's my boss, hence SWMBO)
In case you haven't figured it out it means She Who Must Be Obeyed.
The ejection switch is for her seat.
SD

She can go fast, but I can go anywhere!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
They might be too tall, and there would be no way of mounting then without making new seat frames and welding metal supports the anchor the seats to.
Disco Mike: Do you think that I could just bolt a seat frame with an appropriate reinforcement under the floor or should I weld directly.
I'd rather bolt throu so that the seats can be removed and the bench put back.

The "the seats might be too high"... the new seat box will be very low to keep the seat base at the same or lower height of the bench seat. Only tryout will tell. In about 10 days I will try a mock-up with a wood base. Will post pictures
In the mean time thank you all for the suggestions and keep them coming.

SD

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to watch this thread and would possibly be interested in doing something like this on my own. There is no comfort in those back seats for sure

Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mach up a bracket or "plate".....for ease of removal if needed. Also consider the mounting point for the shoulder belt, if you are going in that direction.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If you want reclining and sliding back seats look at the Yota Rav 4's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing rear bench seats with front seats