Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rich mixture and misfiring 1999 Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes, it will go out once the motor starts. Have you tried putting your foot on the skinny pedal just enough to open the throttle plate? It helps get a tired engine to start. I don't recommend it as a long term fix but for now it will get the motor to kick over. You probably will have to adjust your throttle cable to get the correct idle rpm @ 625 - 700 rpm. That will in effect relieve you from having to hold the throttle open a crack to get er to fire. Replace the battery when you can, it makes a huge difference having enough juice to kick these motors in the pants to fire. At least a battery of 850 CCA works well. Good luck. Check the IACV port again, you may have to remove more carbon. It should be shiny silver and not black/grey.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the major problem seems to be an intermittent in the control system that makes starting this beast something of a usually miss, sometimes hit. Until I can get it to start consistently, debugging the rest will have to take the back seat.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 AM
4wd Low

I had the same problem with my 99 D1. Your frist post is exact same readings my handheld showed me. I had a bad ECU. The ECU next to the windshield sprayer tank. I got on off E-bay truck has run fine ever since.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM
4wd Low
Default Thanks, but the adventure continues...

Originally Posted by LandrJM
I had the same problem with my 99 D1. Your frist post is exact same readings my handheld showed me. I had a bad ECU. The ECU next to the windshield sprayer tank. I got on off E-bay truck has run fine ever since.
You nailed that one, THANKS!!

After replacing the ECU, all the sensors read properly, but the truck won't start. Turns over just fine, it's getting fuel to the fuel rail. I'm convinced the K116 Engine control relay is the next thing to check, but I can't find it where the book says it should be (right side kick panel). Anyone know where it REALLY us?

Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM
4wd Low

Let me clarify: if its in the RH footwell, I can't find it. None of the relays there have the correct color wires, nor do any of them have the correct circuit diagram stamped in the shell. I checked the left side, wondering if the whole LHD/RHD thing might have gotten confused. No dice there either. So I'm lost.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:00 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

You are in the neighborhood where it belongs...

5 wire colors should be...
brown/ light green
brown / orange
blue / red
brown / orange
brown / orange

Connector C239 should be black.

I wish I could help more.

You might also want to check fuse #7 in the engine bay (though I'd bet a whole lotta other things would be screwy if it were blown)

Other ideas....
- multi function relay gone bad
- blown fuse #3 in "satellite fuse box 1" (top row under dash)

Last edited by WaltNYC; 12-16-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
You are in the neighborhood where it belongs...

5 wire colors should be...
brown/ light green
brown / orange
blue / red
brown / orange
brown / orange

Connector C239 should be black.

Other ideas....
- multi function relay gone bad
- blown fuse #3 in "satellite fuse box 1" (top row under dash)
Thank you, Walt! You posted the figure that helped me learn that I was using the wrong book. The electronic copy I paid $$ for turns out NOT to be for 96-99 even though seller said it was. I discovered the RAVE downloads through other posts, found the 96+ electrical manual and ta-da: figure 207 is there!

Still no Engine Control Power Relay. No black relay connector.

However, with the right set of pictures, I noted the SFI version has this service reminder module that is in my truck. So I finally realized I have a NAS SFI model and then things started making sense. Now I'm off to troubleshoot the multi-function relay module!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
4wd Low

so, multi-function relay works - power goes in, then out to the ECU. Scratching my head for the next thing to check.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:23 PM
4wd Low

When you turn the key on do you hear clicking like a relay switching back & forth? Under the pass side dashboard there is a set of relays. You have to remove the black coardboark cover. They are just left of the AC blower. The second relay from the back on my D1 was bad & truck would not start. Same as you turned over got fuel but no spark. Hope this helps

Old 12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
4wd Low

If I go to the camp this weekend Ill post a pic

Quick Reply: Rich mixture and misfiring 1999 Discovery I