Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rotoflex

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 09:47 AM
|
Mudding
Default Rotoflex

So I finally got around to replacing mine. It took me 30min to switch them out. Also replacing it eliminated 100% of my drive vibrations.

Heres a picture to show how bad mine was.

Attached Thumbnails Rotoflex-vn.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012 | 10:15 AM
Administrator

Did you make sure to install the replacement with the directional arrow pointing in the correct direction, otherwise it can fail.

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:23 AM
|
Mudding

I never saw a directional arrow. I just installed It the excact way the old one came off.

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:25 AM
Administrator

If you have the old one, look and see what was the front of it and look for the arrow, then go check your's. Problem is, they will install either way but are designed to go primarily in one specific direction.

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:34 AM
|
Mudding

Ok just went out and checked. I found something resembling an arrow and the markings were to the front of the vehicle before i removed it so the arrow pointed clockwise. I installed the new one markings to the front and the same arrow shape points clockwise which I assume that the rear driveshaft turns clockwise(point of view from front of the vehicle). So Im 99% sure its on correctly.

There were also 6 arrows on the side alternating directions that lined up with the bolt holes. I assume that those are to show which direction the bolt is installed in that particular hole. If so then those are right.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:48 PM

The old one looks really bad. You're lucky it did not totally come apart while driving. How long was it like that?

Old 01-29-2012 | 01:36 PM
|
Mudding

Ive had the vibration since march last year , but didnt discover that was the problem till October. Ive put 13,000mi on the truck since march so it really is amazing how long it lasted. but im glad to get it changed out.

Old 01-29-2012 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bradical
Ive had the vibration since march last year , but didnt discover that was the problem till October. Ive put 13,000mi on the truck since march so it really is amazing how long it lasted. but im glad to get it changed out.
That is amazing, during that time frame did you ever get under the vehicle and look at the rotoflex or driveline?

My son drove my Disco for a few months last winter. I will never again allow that. He was in slick snow and ice one night, spun the tires really bad and tore up both my RotoFlex and tore one of the holes out of the mating flange, so I ended up buying a 98 rear D/S that did away with the rotoflex since my rear flange was trashed.

I like that much better.

Old 01-30-2012 | 06:04 PM
|
Mudding

Yeah. Im so glad it didn't fail and come through the floor board in the back. Im always under my truck but never put vibration and rubber thing with a few cracks in it together till it started getting really bad.

If anyone has a vibration y'all might wanna check that first. Next up on my to do list is plugs wires and trans fluid and filter though

Old 01-30-2012 | 07:07 PM
Mudding

I always had a slight rear driveshaft vibration on the 95 D1 5 speed when new to me at 62K miles. PO a doctor with no mechanical brains didn't feel it.
It got worse with the warmed over 4.6 I installed, heavy throttle soon ripped it apart as well the new replacement within a couple thousand miles. Even the new roto-flex had a light vibration even after rotating 1/3 turn on bolt pattern as well a new guide pin and rubber bushing.
This got old quick then I caught a sale on a new driveshaft with a steel U joint I installed.
Just clicked off 140K with still zero vibration problems under a heavy right foot and clutch. Lubed at every oil change.
Bottom line I quit pissing money away on roto-flex joints ($$$) and found a sure cure.
.....~~=o&o>......

Quick Reply: Rotoflex