Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rover11's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rover11's Build Thread

I'm slowly starting to fix/build my 97 Land Rover Discovery SE. I have 9 years of offroading experience and have built half a dozen Jeeps. This will be the first Land Rover I have built and offroaded. The primary trails will be Cliffs Insane Terrain in IL, The Bad Lands in IN and the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in WI. I would also really like to go to Moab. I'd really like to take the Discovery to the trails in Augs so I am hoping to get everything done soon.

I understand these rigs are extremely capable offroad and I should take the Discovery stock, but i need new tires and I don't want to have to buy to sets of tires.

The Discovery was idling really high. A new exhaust system fixed that problem. The Discovery then started to not have power over 2500-3000 rpms. A new fuel pump seemed to fix that problem.

The po hit something the passenger side bumper is messed up. It also looks like they shut the garage on the hood. The hood is dented pretty bad. I've put on a new hood and removed the passenger side bumper cover. I have also installed the part that goes above the bumper but under the headlight (cannot remember the name). The hood latch is messed up so I removed that and will be installing hood pins today hopefully.

I'll be working on the 60,000 mile service. And installing a 2" lift and 32" tires.

Stay tuned.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If yours has the stock plastic airdam and bumper trim on it, you should take it off and do away with it BEFORE you take it on the trails or you will most likely end up busting it off on the trails and nobody wants their trails littered with unnecessary plastic parts. Save yourself the embarassment of having to pick up the broken pieces from the trails.

Go ahead and look at how many others have done so. Extreme trail riding will remove lots of those kinds of items. I had to haul home my passengers side factory running boards on my first trail ride. The small square tubing tends to corrode awaIf you are going to do Moab or any such extreme rides you may want to look at High Country and similar front and rear bumpers.

Most Discoveries need the original springs replaced due to severe sagging anyway. There are a variety of tire sizes and series that you can select from depending upon your specific needs, you are wise to only do it once and do it right.

A properly prepared Discovery can be amazing. Also ensure your CDL shifter is in good working order as most tend to cease up if not used often, If it will not move side to side easilyn you need to address that issue prior to a trail ride to achieve maximum use of a fine 4 wheel drive system. You want the Diff Lock to work, so go ahead and verify that first chance you get.

Have you downloaded the zipped RAVE yet?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If yours has the stock plastic airdam and bumper trim on it, you should take it off and do away with it BEFORE you take it on the trails or you will most likely end up busting it off on the trails and nobody wants their trails littered with unnecessary plastic parts. Save yourself the embarassment of having to pick up the broken pieces from the trails.

Go ahead and look at how many others have done so. Extreme trail riding will remove lots of those kinds of items. I had to haul home my passengers side factory running boards on my first trail ride. The small square tubing tends to corrode awaIf you are going to do Moab or any such extreme rides you may want to look at High Country and similar front and rear bumpers.

Most Discoveries need the original springs replaced due to severe sagging anyway. There are a variety of tire sizes and series that you can select from depending upon your specific needs, you are wise to only do it once and do it right.

A properly prepared Discovery can be amazing. Also ensure your CDL shifter is in good working order as most tend to cease up if not used often, If it will not move side to side easilyn you need to address that issue prior to a trail ride to achieve maximum use of a fine 4 wheel drive system. You want the Diff Lock to work, so go ahead and verify that first chance you get.

Have you downloaded the zipped RAVE yet?
Thanks for the advice Danny. I was planning on changing the front bumper before I hit the trails. I will check out high countrys bumpers. The cdl shifter seems to move and engage perfectly.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Mudding

Does high country have a website?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by rover11
Does high country have a website?
I think they went out of business???

Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Long Haul
I think they went out of business???
It looks like it. I can only find forums with their information but no website.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Yes, HiCountry Offroad is out of business. I have their front bumper and really like it. It's a shame they're not around any more.

Rover11, what's your location? Sounds like we have the same stomping grounds. Check out Home - Chicago Land Rover Club. We take a few trips to Badlands/Cliffs each year. We also have a trip to WI planned for Aug 12-14. Stock trucks welcome! Shoot me a PM for details or if you're interested.

Moab is awesome. I attended the rally there last year and one week was nowhere near long enough. The Rally should be back there next year so let's start planning!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Mudding
Talking

Originally Posted by fishEH
Yes, HiCountry Offroad is out of business. I have their front bumper and really like it. It's a shame they're not around any more.

Rover11, what's your location? Sounds like we have the same stomping grounds. Check out Home - Chicago Land Rover Club. We take a few trips to Badlands/Cliffs each year. We also have a trip to WI planned for Aug 12-14. Stock trucks welcome! Shoot me a PM for details or if you're interested.

Moab is awesome. I attended the rally there last year and one week was nowhere near long enough. The Rally should be back there next year so let's start planning!
PM sent

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of Moab, have you seen the video of the girl driving a fillsize Blazer down the really big slope, she looses her brakes and crashes over the side, nose first to the desert floor below? It was really scary. Guess she did not have it in low range first gear and she burned up her brakes on the way down. Terrible crash. I heard they closed it since that.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Speaking of Moab, have you seen the video of the girl driving a fillsize Blazer down the really big slope, she looses her brakes and crashes over the side, nose first to the desert floor below? It was really scary. Guess she did not have it in low range first gear and she burned up her brakes on the way down. Terrible crash. I heard they closed it since that.
That was Lion's Back. It's on private land and is now closed.

Quick Reply: Rover11's Build Thread