Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Same old problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same old problem

My Disco 1 recently started well not wanting to start. And yes I have read several posts and threads about plugs, wires, etc.... I have new kingsborne 8mm, Champion copper plugs and just installed a new CKP sensor yesterday. The issue I am having is when I head out to work in the morning it will crank and 10 - 11 hours later when I am getting ready to go home it takes several tries to get it too start even with a new CKP sensor. I am using regular unleaded I have used lucas gas treatment and more recently I used a can of seafoam treatment in the gas tank. I have owned it for about 3 months and honestly I am ready to give it away for free. I cannot believe the amount of work and trouble shooting that is required to keep these P.O.S.'s running daily LR should be liable for these trucks. I have not cleaned the MAF sensor yet, I have not cleaned the stepper motor or the throttle body yet. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet either. It idles just fine it accelerates fine and then at 30 - 40 mph it stumbles and misfires etc.... The only code my Ultragauge is throwing is P1179. I am extremely disappointed with myself for buying this truck, I am a very mechanically inclined person.

Last edited by texasdisco1; 05-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be a smart *** but you could start by using the recommended gas for these trucks. I bought mine out of a family members yard where it had sat for 2 years. Gave it a good going over and tune up. Has ran great for me other than a few small issues that can be expected for an older vehicle. They are by no means a put gas in and drive forever car. If you properly maintain and care for them they will treat you very well. Have you checked your fuel pressure? Check engine light on?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, even in Texas you need fuel pressure. Take a gauge, connect to the "tire valve" on the passenger side fuel rail. Turn key to position 2, fuel pump should run for a couple of seconds. Should have 32-34 PSI.

So next time you have the problem, don't turn to crank. Turn to position 2, run pump, the off, run pump, repeat several times. Pressure may be built up enough to crank. So could be pump, fuel filter, bad wiring at the pump copnnector (makes wiring insulation look burnt), fuel pressure regulator, or that whopping six inch vac hose that drives the FPR.

As far as give it away, don't tempt us like that.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Drifting

No offense taken, I haven't checked the fuel pressure, the CEL does come on from time to time right I have a pending P1179 coming from ny Ultragauge.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Drifting

SBuzz what type of gauge would I use to check the fuel pressure ?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Even a tire gauge will work, I got a dial gauge with a rubber hose and various adapters from Harbor Freight, it is always "just on the way" to dinner out for SWMBO. I think that parts stores may loan them out as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Where is the FPR so I can inspect the VAC hose ?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Driver side fuel rail at the firewall end. Very short prone-to-rot vac hose.

The RAVE is the factory set of shop manuals, free download.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Just replaced that little hose, it is about 3 - 5 inches long correct ? I had my wife turn the key on and off and I am not hearing that traditional fuel pump prime or buzz / hissing noise.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Fuel pump should be heard running when key is turned to position 2, just before turning to crank. Pump draws about 5 amps, the multi-function relay on the passenger fenerwall of engine comaprtment controls it. The circuit runs thru the inertia crash switch on the fire wall, which resets when pushed down on the top. The pump connector is under the carpet and a panel in the cargo area. But pump has to run or engine can't.

Quick Reply: Same old problem