Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Saw a defender today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010 | 03:41 PM
|
Winching
Default Saw a defender today!

So I was taking the family to the local sandwhich shop before we went to the movies and as I was helping my daughter out of the jeep my wife says, "What kind of truck is that?" I turn around and low and behold it's a Defender 110. As I walked up the guy said hi so I told him he had a sweet defender. The guy was real nice and talked to me and let me look at it. It was red with a white top. The guy told me it had a 4 cylinder diesel. I knew they came with diesels usually but I didn't know it was a 4 banger. It must put out some decent HP despite being a 4 banger cause those 110's have got to be fairly heavy. It was in pretty decent shape. So I am sold. I want one (as if I didn't already want one). Now I just need to gather up roughly 30K and voila! Sweetest ride in town would be mine. Anyone want to contribute some sizeable donations to the "buy the poor guy a defender fund"? Feel free to let me know. I will set up a pay pal account where ya'll can all send your money. Any and all donations will be excepted.

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:28 PM

I saw a hot blonde driving a relatively new one here in Pittsburgh, very nice ride.

There's also a thread in the LR2 section where I posted a link to a nice Defender in the Seattle craigs list. It's only a 90 but here it is:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1957324914.html

Enjoy.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 05:40 PM
TReK

that reminds me..I saw this D90 the other day at a local rover shop. It belongs to Alton Brown from 'iron chef' and 'good eats' on the food network.

Name:  altonsrover.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  72.0 KB

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:49 PM

I like Alton Brown that much more now... lol

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Why does everyone think that diesel have tons of horse power?
They have LESS horse power than out V8's do, I mean like less than 100 horse power.
All Rover diesels are 4 cylinders with turbo, they only came out with the TD5 for the DII.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/enginePwrSpecs.htm

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:54 PM
Team Owner

If you compare the numbers, the V8 has more horse power and torque but the torque on the V8 is at a higher rpm.
But Rover made the throttle inputs on the V8 very small, so very little throttle is needed to get big results, this is only on the RRC, DI and Defender on earlier models, the DII and later did away with this.
1/4 throttle on a DI is about equal to 1/2 throttle on a DII for example.

Old 09-19-2010 | 06:52 PM
TReK

well its not fair to compare a 4.0L to a 2.5L...a 4.0L diesel could put our gas engines to shame in the torque department..and that's what matters off-road

Old 09-19-2010 | 07:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
well its not fair to compare a 4.0L to a 2.5L...a 4.0L diesel could put our gas engines to shame in the torque department..and that's what matters off-road
I agree, but my point is that everyone thinks the LR diesel is a power monger and its not.
The only advantage to a diesel is MPG and water crossing.
For the price of a conversion you could have your V8 rebuilt several times.
How long are you actually going to keep your truck anyway?
What is the longest you have ever owned a car, 3 years? 5?
The longest I have owned one so far is 7 years, I put just over 100,000 miles on it and then it got smashed.
I traded it in and bought a used car.

I would love to have a diesel.

Old 09-19-2010 | 07:38 PM
|
Winching

Sorry Spike. I am just used to always driving Ford 7.3L Diesel 3/4 and 1 ton pick-ups. I realize that is a large engine but that's what my mind always locks in on. I consider our V8's to be underpowered vs the weight of the truck. If the diesel is even more underpowered what is the point of even owning one. Who cares if you get 30 mpg if it takes you two or threes times as look to creep there at under the speed limit? Aren't those defenders heavy? I would assume they would at least be as heavy our disco's so why would LR do that? I understand that torque plays as much of a role as HP but HP does play an important role. Especially on the highway. You also need torque to get the truck down the highway. Anyway, didn't mean to bring up the whole diesel disco dead horse. I just thought the defender today was cool and I always assumed the diesel engine in them was bigger and more powerful than just a little 4 banger with the HP of a moped. I would like to see a 7.3L turbo diesel in a defender. Now that would be bad a@$!

Old 09-19-2010 | 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Saw this the other day its like ten miles from me. I don't think its a deisel but the don't say.
http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/1955176563.html

Quick Reply: Saw a defender today!