Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Scared to go off road.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scared to go off road.

Hey guys... so I just got my truck up and running again. Now of course I want to take it offroad. I am kind of afraid to now due to my breakdown last week. Besides not driving super fast and beating the **** out of my truck what else do I need to be careful of?

I love being in the woods but my D1 is daily driver and I can't afford to break it again lol.

Also what's the deal with Suzuki Samuri's? My gf wants something to take off-road and I was thinking of getting her something cheap that's not a Jeep or LR that gets decent gas mileage.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sidekick or any other similar model (tracker and sunrunner). They are super easy to work on and get good gas mileage. Check them very carefully, the frame and the floorboards are very prone to rust. Being IFS they are not as good as your Disco off-road, she might not be able to follow you everywhere. They also have a very low ground clearance.

The turndown about Sammys is that it's a pretty old model, but solid front axle, better off-road.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my Disco off road pretty much every weekend right now.
Slow and steady is the best policy. Remember shift into low when in
neutral. Lock the cdl by shifting the lever to the left when in low or
High. Should see a orange indicator light in the instrument cluster
when it is active. I recommend trying this prior to leaving to go off
road as I have read some people are not able to get their CDL to lock.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How familiar are you with this truck, what broke before, how much wheeling experience do you have? How many miles on the truck and was it last given a major inspection and full service?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike.

I got it a few months ago. So far this fuel pump issue is only one I've had. Knock on wood. I am familiar with it to some extent. Still new though. 120k just did full service.

I don't know much about wheeling. Just self taught. Slow and steady try not to bottom out don't rally it etc...

Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at my photo albums you will see a few pics of our local Fort Pitt Land Rover Group on an outing near Ligioner PA. John led the way in his FreeLander. I was amazed where he was able to go with that little thing, he even handled some terrain better than a couple of the Disco's that had old sagging suspensions (like Mine right after I first got it) .

John did finally sell his Freelander and bought a DII and also recently imported a retired Ministry of Defense vehicle from England. There are a couple of pics of it as well. I especially like the one of him crossing the creek in it.

Oh yeah, spend some time watching Discovery Disasters on UTube and you can be see a lot of things not to do.

Slow and steady usually works best.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-23-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the youtube thing. I spent alot of time checking out what not to do. Plus joined a local 4x4 club who goes out together alot. If you have time you can check out our trail run reports. There is nothing like having someone with you in case something goes wrong!
http://www.frontrange4x4.com

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM

BY ALL MEANS, GO WITH A GROUP AT FIRST, AND THEN AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.

MUCH BETTER TO BE IN A GROUP. GO OUT ALONE AND HAVE A PROBLEM, YOU COULD REALLY BE SORRY.

I always laugh on those UTube videos, right after a bad crash, everybody comes running up and you always hear someone yell "Are you OK?"

Then you see someone trying to crawl out of a smashed up, often totalled vehicle looking slightly Dazed And Confused.

Some are totally off the wall. I try to count how many times they flip over when they crash. Then you see them try to put it back on the wheels and drive it out. Noises and smoke billowing out sometimes.............

Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

dont ever be scared. lol. he is me stock on 9/11 with my 4 amigos on and street tires.

Name:  DSC_1019.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  106.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0977.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  189.7 KBName:  DSC_1013.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  149.4 KB

Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Yeah, but that's pretty tame looking territory as well.

Quick Reply: Scared to go off road.