Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Schrader Valve Alert

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Schrader Valve Alert

Guys,

Thought I would pass this info along to all of you. It may come in helpful especially to some of the newer people.

There has been so much recent activity regarding fuel pump problems and reading the actual pressure on the fuel rail, I was under the hood today and had a round tire guage in my pocket, so I figured I would check mine just to see what my new fuel pump is providing at the rail.

I put the tire guage on the valve, pressed in, NO READING. Tried again no reading, now a slight leak from the valve. Cut engine off, probed valve, restarted engine, total failure of the valve stem.

Gas poured like I have never seen before. Cut it off, removed valve from fuel line. It would no longer hold any pressure. Called Rovers North, talked to Eric at the parts counter. They do not have a replacement available as a single item. It is considered part of the fuel injection rail. He did confirm it is a standard tire valve stem inside the housing.

I called my son who lives a few blocks away, he drove me to a nearby old fashioned service station where they still pump your gas for you, sell tires, state inspections and a repair pretty much full service repair garage.

I had used them for state inspections on the wife's car for years. I took the part in, talked to the guy who does mostly inspections, brakes and tires, he laughed and said let's take a look. We proceeded to the tire balancing machine where they had a good selection of valve stems. He was able to match it up no problem. I tried to pay him, he laughed and said here take a few more with you in case it happens again. He refused any money and went back to reading his newspaper.

Thought I would pass this along to everyone. I guess it had not been tested in many mant years, and the damn thing just went to hell when I put the meter on it. So be aware, you may need to get a valve stem in a hurry if yours does the same thing.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't check fuel pressure with a tire pressure gauge. Always relieve pressure from fuel system before removing valve core

Old 09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
you can't check fuel pressure with a tire pressure gauge. Always relieve pressure from fuel system before removing valve core

Your response confuses me. I have seen several times when people were told to use the round dial type tire pressure guage to do exactly that. That is what I used. Are you saying you cannot use the round dial type tire guage?

Second, as for the fuel pressure at the rail you don't need a fancy gauge to check it. Go to your local wal-mart and buy a round dial tire gauge for 5 bucks (not a stick gauge). That is all you need to check your fuel pressure.
(Cut and pasted from another thread)

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-28-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I used with absolutely no problems, and it still works to check tire air pressure.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get a reading on mine with a tire gauge. Not sure why really, might be because my engine wasn't running? Anyway bought an actual fuel pressure gauge and it worked like a charm....
________
buy vapormatic

Last edited by Henrici; 01-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Baja

I just wanted to caution everyone that they may leak, but the inside can be replaced rather easily, if you have the right part and the little tool for unscrewing the old one.

I even have a few spares available in case of emergency..................Send cash in plain unmarked envelope.............

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how you could keep fuel from leaking out using a tire pressure gauge. Fuel pressure gauge sets come with a few attachments with o-rings to screw onto different valves so you have a pressure tight seal. The set I bought came in a hard case and was about $12 at harbor freight.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 09-28-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the o-rings are more about convenience then getting accurate results, as most people don't enjoy having fuel spray everywhere. You get air leaking out when you measure your tire pressures, and that works okay. I like fuel spray, so I'm okay with it.
I have a small tire emergency kit in the glovebox that I got from AZ for a few bucks. It has several valve stems, the stem tool, and a few extra stem caps. Nice to know it could pull double duty!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I don't see how you could keep fuel from leaking out using a tire pressure gauge. Fuel pressure gauge sets come with a few attachments with o-rings to screw onto different valves so you have a pressure tight seal. The set I bought came in a hard case and was about $12 at harbor freight.
I don't know if you understand what I am saying. It did not just leak when trying to read it, the valve seat being 15 or so years old quit sealing altogether. Even after I removed the guagge. It became a major leak and required a new vavle stem to stop leaking heavily. With the new valve astem, it is fine. I have not attempted to read it since, but many others have said they used the round dial type guage to read theirs.

I wanted to alert people to the possibility of a leak and how to repair. It is the same intrnal valve seat as a tire. I got my replacement from a local tire dealer.

If the internal valve goes on you, I don't think the type of guage matters much at that point. If the guage caused it, then some people are giving bad info. I think mine was a matter of an old valve. Don't know for sure.

One other thing I noticed. Mine did not have a cap over the test valve. Does yours? You know like a tire valve cap? Should there be one on it to keep crud out? Maybe that contributed to the problem.

Quick Reply: Schrader Valve Alert