Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Seafoam how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use BG CF5 every 5k....Seafoam semi hydro locked my engine...what happened that even though its petro based...it does not combust....i blew ringlands....use it in the gas tank if you want to use seafoam....never ever put it through your vacuum line

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ONLY use SeaFoam in my OLD trucks........Like my late 70's early 80's carbed, no computer/sensor type trucks. In these they work great IMO. My buddy saw how well it worked in one of my old chevys and did a can into his 94 explorer.................about 2 days later the check engine light came on and it took him 2 months to change about every sensor that truck had just to get it to pass the emmisions testing in Alaska. He was not happy and said he wont ever use it again.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by errose2002
Mine is running fine currently, but thought it would be a good thing to clean the injectors since the engine has 170K on it. I know that the engine is dirty so running 1/2 can of seafoam in the crank case would be very beneficial.
Running it through a vacuum lines will not clean your injectors, it has to be added to the gas to clean injectors.

If you want to clean your intake and valves and stuff use this, you can buy it at your local autoparts store.

Amazon.com: 3M - Intake System Cleaner Kit, 3-pack aerosol (08962): Automotive

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting. When I Seafoamed my '95 year before last I followed the Seafoam instructions which said pour in to an intake vacuum line slowly, then rapidly until the engine stalls. Then let it sit for 5 min and restart.
They now appear to be saying differently.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Interesting. When I Seafoamed my '95 year before last I followed the Seafoam instructions which said pour in to an intake vacuum line slowly, then rapidly until the engine stalls. Then let it sit for 5 min and restart.
They now appear to be saying differently.
Like many things, everyone has their own opinion and own experiences, hence the different methods. Some people trash engines, some people revive old crusty ones. No two engines or situations will render the same results.

The real test would be to take a known (inspected) gummed up motor, do the seafoam vacuum injection, pull it apart and look. However - I assume that if you're going to pull it apart to see if the seafoam actually did the job, you could just do it right anyway.

That said - I sucked a can of seafoam in my intake vacuum, let it sit for like 10 minutes, fired it up and smoked the whole zipcode out for 30 minutes. Did it help? Hard to tell - truck still misfires. Did it hurt? Doubtful - truck still runs the same and has for 20K more miles.

Honest OPINION (like an ******* - we've all got them): I'd run it through the gas once in a while to keep the injectors clean. To REALLY clean the top end I'd just pull it apart and not risk it.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local shop hooked up a tool like the OTC-7448 to the fuel rail and ran a solvent similar to BG through the injectors. Definitely smoothed out my D2 at idle.

OTC 7448 Fuel Injection Pressurized Cleaning Canister | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Seafoam how to?-otc-7448-2.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested in doing this. How much SeaFoam through the gas tank? After reading this, I believe I'm just going to play it safe and go through the gas tank instead of through the vacuum line.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There were some saturn 1.9l engines a while back that would carbon up so bad the oil rings would stick and cause high oil consumption. They would pull the spark plugs out and pour some cleaner right into the cylinders and let it soak for two hours. I wonder if a procedure like that would be helpful for our engines, just to get them extra clean

Cleaning Pistons of 1.9L -The Saturn Way - SaturnFans Forums

(I'm not actually a saturn fan... that's just the first website that I saw that had the TSB where they did this on saturns).

Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NO Seafoam: No Additives.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the propper prescription is a whole can through the gas tank. and you want to do it with the gas fairly low right? So you use it up pretty quickly and pretty concentrated?

Quick Reply: Seafoam how to?