Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

seat switch rebuild walkthrough?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat switch rebuild walkthrough?...

I remember seeing a how to on rebuilding the power seat switch, but for the life of me cannot find it, nor did I bookmark it. Can anyone point me towards the thread, either with a link or at least what to search for?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I don't know the link but basically just take it apart. Do it carefully as there are a bunch of steel bearings and springs etc in there. Clean everything, put the pieces where they belong and put it back together.

I did one last week for the first time, just takes a little common sense and was not all that hard. Works great now!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
4wd Low

So I pulled apart, cleaned, and put back together the seat switch. Prior to pulling it apart the back adjusted fine, but the bottom of the seat didn't move. Now, the back still works, the bottom of the seat moves forward and back, but the tilt doesn't work, in either direction. When activated all I get is a click. Any ideas as to what the problem maybe?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First I would make sure that I had the switch together all the way, It's kind of tricky to put back together and keep all the little bearings in place. I have a second rover here, so I actually had a working switch I could test it against and make sure the problem didn't lie elsewhere. (like in the connector to the seat motor etc). If you do take it apart again to check, I would stress the cleaning of the rockers in there, it does not take much to keep those contacts from making a good electrical connection.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PITA is all I have to say about that, I spent a day trying to make a permanent "fix" for my seats and it didn't work to well. it actually does work now but it sticks while moving (my fix involved sticking needles through the axis points so they couldn't pop out and using tape to secure the bearings and springs in place). I would try to dig out pictures of this but it really is way more hassle than it is worth.
Now my plan is to actually build a replacement switch using small low profile rocker switches and a few relays but unfortunately it will cost a little money and I don't quite have it yet. however if you want to try it I can draw up a schematic and some info on the parts you will need. I use an online electronics parts company and you should be able to order everything for I would say under $30.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
4wd Low

That sounds like a good idea down the road, but I just pulled it apart again and packed it with dielectric grease for now. It is all working, even though the forward movement is still a little jerky. I was just messing with this while waiting on parts for my overheating problem(which hopefully will hopefully be fixed soon).