Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To rebuild or not to rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To rebuild or not to rebuild...

Hey all,
I've been doing quite a bit of research on the issue of rebuilding the front drive shaft on my DII. I started getting some drivetrain noise and parked her for the time being till I get this done, don't want to grenade the tranny. There seems to be a debate whether one is to rebuild the original with serviceable u-joints or just buy an aftermarket shaft all together.

I'm in a bit of a pinch as my 911 just took a **** and need to fix that as well so I'm looking to get this done cheaply if possible. At the same time, I'm willing to pay the extra dollars for a new drive shaft if this rebuild job turns into what some people describe as 'agony' and costs me a ton of time.

No off roading is done in the truck and is meticulously maintained.

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see this Propshaft Rebuild - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Took me better part of a day, but I'm slow and only had a vise. That's on a D1, similar, but not exactly the same. If your bought the parts and took them and this write up to a drive line shop it may be not a whole lot.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
see this Propshaft Rebuild - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Took me better part of a day, but I'm slow and only had a vise. That's on a D1, similar, but not exactly the same. If your bought the parts and took them and this write up to a drive line shop it may be not a whole lot.
Yeah, I read that post, it was the other one that worried me as it took the other person 12 hours and said he'd rather shoot himself than do the job again. That being said, is why I am willing to pay a little extra.

I am however having trouble getting clarification on the correct parts and where to get them. Some say 'this brand but not from this store because one is built in China, the other not etc." Any recommendations for the DII?

Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Got mine at Advance.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Advanced as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling

I ordered Neapcos online for about $20 ea. Got a balljoint press from Autozone, mounted it in a vice and went at it. Took a couple of hours. Don't forget to change the centering ball. A hook type bearing puller with slide weight gets it out easily. Send it to Tom Woods, $45 balance including return shipping. I'd get a quote from him to do the whole job if you think it will need balancing - mine had thrown a weight. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Rebuild. The drive shaft doesn't fail unless you wait till it blows, so just replace the wear parts, the u-joints and centering ball for $75 worth of parts and a couple hours of your labor.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Mudding

Alright then... Gonna take the shaft out and bring it too a reputable drive line shop for a rebuild for $150. I like that route, save some money as opposed to buying an aftermarket replacement and don't have to do too much

As always, thanks for your expertise dude-sicles...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If your bought the parts and took them and this write up to a drive line shop it may be not a whole lot.
If a driveline shop needed me to bring instructions I would be afraid of using them.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Some say 'this brand but not from this store because one is built in China, the other not etc."
If you read it carefully it says that Autozone is selling made in china u-joints (Duralast) that use the same PN as the Made in the US Neapco. Not that they are the same brand.

Quick Reply: To rebuild or not to rebuild...