Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Security system problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system problem?

Hi!

Here is an odd question.

I just noticed that the turn signals/sidelights did not flash as expected when the vehicle is locked (drivers door, and with the key).

I'm not sure where to start looking to solve this problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Kalev

Old 05-13-2014, 02:09 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Were they flashing previously?

Is the alarm still armed? Or maybe the alarm has stopped engaging even though the doors lock?

Normally you need a remote key fob to activate the alarm, in my experience using the key only does not make the lights flash and engage the alarm, it just locks unlocks all the doors.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Drifting

This Discovery is a little unusual

When I bought it about a year ago, all of the lights would flash when being locked and unlocked.

Now, it just flashes when it's being unlocked, and 1 out of 10 times when you lock it, the locks will pop back up and the alarm will activate....

Each day with the factory alarm brings a new mystery, and a new problem.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Maybe the alarm assembly in the drivers door is wearing out and you should invest in the remote, key tumblers wear out ESP on 10+++ year old vehicles

Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Where in CA are you? I can program a remote for you.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM R
Maybe the alarm assembly in the drivers door is wearing out and you should invest in the remote, key tumblers wear out ESP on 10+++ year old vehicles
I just fixed the tumblers, maybe it is the alarm assembly... How hard are those to replace?

Originally Posted by abran
Where in CA are you? I can program a remote for you.
I'm actually in Montana right now, thank you for offering... If this doesn't get fixed, I may have to contact you.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

More than likely one of the locks isn't locking like the load space door........fairly common. Do the locks all spring back up when you try to lock the drivers door?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
More than likely one of the locks isn't locking like the load space door........fairly common. Do the locks all spring back up when you try to lock the drivers door?
It's funny you should ask because the front passenger door and cargo door have to be opened with a key because they don't "pop-up"

I have been trying to fix that issue, but I haven't had time to identify the cause... Do I need to replace the door lock actuators?

Sorry to be a complete idiot, I love Discoveries, and this was the only vehicle to show up in my area, so I bought it, and it has some REAL issues

Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Everybody on any forum had a learning curve to get where they are so don't apologize. It could be the actuators or it could be they need to be adjusted. There are rods galore to adjust and they are threaded so it's pretty easy. To test the actuators you just need to pop the door panel and see what's happening. Sometimes it's just the connector for the actuator, dielectric grease and all is good, but yes it can be failed actuators. Buy used in that case. Mine had more than yours as far as issues and I looked at it as a positive, I learned from my first and I had some hard times and some huge successes while playing with it to get it right. Now, I just drive it......

Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Thank you

It is odd that suddenly "stuff" would start acting up, but I will try testing everything this weekend and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Security system problem?