Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Shock Replacement

Been working on getting my 97 Discovery 1 back into shape, slowly since I have limited funds, and still working on getting my knee to work after surgery.

I got replacement shock for the drivers side , shock that is on the truck somehow melted the rubber bushing on the top end (how does that happen??) Anyhow, U can't get the nut to turn and the shaft doesn't want to stay in one place. Tried a wrench on the flats of the shaft, with a wrench on the attaching nut. Wrench on the flats of the shaft just slips. Tried the 'universal vise grip' with the same results. I went to use the old stand by 'fire wrench' and cut the end off , only to find I am out of acetylene.... With limited funds, and no other projects for the torch, I am hesitant to tie up the money for a tank of gas just to use it and have it sit for who knows how long..

Anyone have a clue what a shop would charge to cut out the old shock and install the new one (one side only) I know they don't like it when you bring in the parts, but they already told me they couldn't get a replacement shock for a few days when I asked a while ago. Just want to be sure I don't get taken to the cleaners on labor. Can't see that it would take too long to do..

Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Slide a pipe wrench in between the spring coils and grab the body of the shock. Work on the lower mount first. Once you get that off you can just take off the four shock tower retaining nuts and pull the whole tower/shock assembly. Then you can work on the top shock bolt on your bench.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench

lower mount is a pretty dumb idea. a bolt and nut would he been much easier to work with. Thanks for the pipe wrench idea.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a lot of time with shocks that have a single retaining stud, you can slip a deep socket with a long extension on their and wiggle it back and forth until the stuck breaks , surprisingly it doesn't take much.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

x2 on pipe wrench. that's the way I did mine.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Talked to the guys at NTB and they were kind enough to give me a quote to install one shock on my truck, I have the part, .... $160!!!!! I guess I am in the wrong business! seems a bit steep for cutting off a shock and putting another one in it's place....

For that price, I will crawl under and do it myself, messed up knee and all!!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Talked to the guys at NTB and they were kind enough to give me a quote to install one shock on my truck, I have the part, .... $160!!!!! I guess I am in the wrong business! seems a bit steep for cutting off a shock and putting another one in it's place....

For that price, I will crawl under and do it myself, messed up knee and all!!
Yeah you really only need to worry about the bottom nut. Get that off and you could replace the towers for less than NTB would charge. Chain shops are terrible for small work. You'd be better off finding a independent muffler shop to cut off the old shock.
You should be able to get it though. Try a propane torch on the nylock on the bottom. Melt out the nylon and it will come off easier. Use a pipe wrench to hold the shock from spinning.
Or maybe try to squeeze a sawzall blade in there and cut through the top rubber bushing on the lower mount and cut right through the stud.

You can do it! You can always buy new tools to DIY and still come out ahead of paying a shop.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench

I bit the bullet and refilled my tanks. turns out that was the cheapest way to go. I checked with 2 other shops (both independent shops) and was quoted a higher price by both. Top price was $265. and that was just labor!! I guess we know why I don't have any of my cars worked on here in town.

I noticed they ran the ABS sensor wires right next to the shock bottom nut. Think it is flame proof?? (just kidding) I figure once I get the top cover lose, (3 bolts) it won't take long to (fire) wrench the shock out. Refill on the tanks was just under $100... I still save at least $60, plus I got fuel for the next project that needs a little heat...

Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy

FWIW I've never needed a cutting torch to remove my old shocks. Even the old old old ones that came stock on the trucks. $20 pipe wrench and Bob's your uncle!
Good luck!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I had some recently that were in such bad shape that the only thing that would get them off (ok, didn't use my torch) was a pneumatic hammer. I used a flat chisel tool on the edge of a flat on the nut and it came loose enough to use the wrench on.

Quick Reply: Shock Replacement