Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up some OME springs and they are great as well.

What was the shock brand that some people reported coming apart?
I was thinking it was TF but not totally sure.

You probably should consider the heavy duty mounting towers and dislocation cones as well Caleb. You do not want to have a weakened original mounting tower with all new springs and shocks. If yours are corroded, you may as well replace them while you have it all apart and do the teardown one time rather than having to tear into it a second time or leave a weakened item like that in there since that is the mounting for the top of the shocks. Food for thought, grasshopper.

It is good to go wheeling with others in their rigs first and gain some first hand knowledge before you jump in to a totally new arena. At least go with a group so you will have some help if a problem does arise.

Use the LR credo, "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary." Using momentum.

Or if that fails "Drive it like you stole it" using the crash and bash theorem.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
love my terrafirma 2" medium kit, don't offroad but we handle apocalyptic urban pretty well.
slang do you intend to get an aftermarket bumper, or do you have one now? just wondering how the medium kit will hold up with extra weight

Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Great to know, then it's a no brainer! Terrafirma!
Yup exactly what I said in my first post in the other thread. Call Justin at Lucky 8, tell him you're thinking TF kit. Ask him his opinion he will give you the correct spring "load" rating and shocks for what you need.

He has been selling the TF stuff for a while. He also sells OME, FOX shocks, King Shocks and RTE springs. So he can tell you the difference and what his customers have experienced from each. I'm probably one of the few ro have run all of that stuff (except king shocks) and I would say for what you're looking for a TF kit is the way to go.

I have TF springs with a 1" spacer and fox shocks but my trucks primary purpose is off roading..

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I called him, he quoted me for HD coils and Pro Sport Shocks around the $580 area. I'm thinking of waiting after I do my swivels to buy this or maybe after I get back from Boot Camp for the Marines. No point in installing and not being able to drive it haha

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I picked up some OME springs and they are great as well.

What was the shock brand that some people reported coming apart?
I was thinking it was TF but not totally sure.

You probably should consider the heavy duty mounting towers and dislocation cones as well Caleb. You do not want to have a weakened original mounting tower with all new springs and shocks. If yours are corroded, you may as well replace them while you have it all apart and do the teardown one time rather than having to tear into it a second time or leave a weakened item like that in there since that is the mounting for the top of the shocks. Food for thought, grasshopper.

It is good to go wheeling with others in their rigs first and gain some first hand knowledge before you jump in to a totally new arena. At least go with a group so you will have some help if a problem does arise.

Use the LR credo, "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary." Using momentum.

Or if that fails "Drive it like you stole it" using the crash and bash theorem.
Looking at TF's shock turrets (towers) and they have a 2" drop and a standard one. What does the 2" drop do performance wise?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by filbs
slang do you intend to get an aftermarket bumper, or do you have one now? just wondering how the medium kit will hold up with extra weight
my truck is light and it's probably not getting much heavier without a load. it's springy, mother-in-law uncomfortable and was pretty tight until I put the mt's on her. im more of the urban/lil highway/construction site guy tho. for now.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Looking at TF's shock turrets (towers) and they have a 2" drop and a standard one. What does the 2" drop do performance wise?
Lowers the mounting 2" for more droop. You have to make sure you have enough lift to compensate for the up travel otherwise you will bottom your shocks out. You need to learn more about shock travel, lift heigh, wheel travel etc before you start with that stuff. Get a simple kit, test it out, see what you think make adjustments from there.

I have the equipe -2 front turrets similar to the ones TF sells with the shocks tuff has now and 3" springs and it was perfect for radius arms. 8" travel -2" towers.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench

yeah I was going to get the basic stuff, no need to get vehicle parts that can transverse the amazon jungle when I am only driving down the street to school and work.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yeah I was going to get the basic stuff, no need to get vehicle parts that can transverse the amazon jungle when I am only driving down the street to school and work.
If it's just a daily driver whats the point of a lift? To add bigger tires and get worse gas milage?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Pro Wrench

Well my shocks and springs are shot. Might as well just do it, I mean why not? And I do some off roading with friends. It's not like it only sees the high way or paved roads.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Springs