Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So I got the 1998 Discovery earlier this week :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got the 1998 Discovery earlier this week :)

So I got the 1998 Discovery earlier this week
I will try and post some pictures later in week we are having terrible rain storms down here in S. Florida.

Some early observations:

The good:
I think it may actually be a 50th Anniversary the color is WoodCote Green it is LSE and has a lot of options and upgraded interior, radio and tow package from factory. Oh and most importantly two decals on rear window. Condition is very good for an almost 14 year old truck and both the exterior body and paint are in really good condition as is interior. Just about everything works as it should, seats, radio, accessories, etc... Starts and runs smooth, no unusual noise, smoke or overheating and ice cold A/C

The bad:
Rust...there is some rust on rear passengers sill as well as just starting in the rear door jams but those are not bad enough where it has eaten through yet. It is a northern car because we don't know what rust is down here in S. Florida
Front sunroof does not work. You hit switch and nothing happens.
Passenger door does not open at all. (possibly handle is bad or rod broke)
Only one key fob and the unlock takes some fiddling with it at times so I need to get a new one before I am SOL.
A broken rear tail light and a few loose interior pieces that need OEM clips replaced. No big deal.
The WORST thing is the PO took the front and rear sway bars off!!!! WTF ? I need to put those back ASAP. So, if anyone has some they want to sell email me.

The FREE
Previous owner must have had it set up for serious off road because has lots of upgrades. Lot's of options could use some help from you guys identifying a few items. Has an ARB bar with Warn 8000 winch and Hella 2000 rally lights. Brand NEW General Grabber A/T tires 285/75 16 all the way around on black steel wheels. Borla Cat back exhaust, K&N filter, Lift kit (unknown brand but looks like OME and not sure if 2" or 3") car sits 36.5" to fender lip front 37.5" to fender lip rear. Looks to have SouthDown steel front, fuel tank and and rear diff skid guards. Seems like had GPS, CB, and Cell / ipod holders from left over holes on the otherwise perfect center console .

The future:
New Plugs (NGK Standard), wires (Magnacore 8mm), get rid of K&N filter and go paper, clean MAF, complete fluid change (Oil, diff, transfer, trans, brake, steering, radiator, etc..) going all synthetic. Fix passenger door, get new remote fob, WeatherTech rubber mats,
MUST GET SWAY BARS front and rear put on
Hood black-out, rock sliders, rear bumper, roof rack, rear ladder and ARB snorkel and lots of lights, LOL.

Last edited by MiamiC70; 06-18-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

get rid of the lift. it will burn the tires off and damage the vehicle as well. plus it will ride worse then a boat.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

Really? Umm, that is why I bought it. My old Jeep had a 5" lift and rode fine. As long as it's done properly nothing wrong with a suspension lift.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

South Florida does not have rust? What changed there recently? That was the main reason I traded my 280ZX 2+2 in. The entire underneath was rusting away.

A lift will burn off tires and damage the vehicle? That is news to me and lots of others.

I have the rear sway bars from mine available. Are you planning on slolom races or what?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Overlanding

Were you driving that 280 on the beach? LOL
Been here since 1979 and never had one of my cars rust through.

Maybe not salom but you never know when a little 4x4 auto-X is in order

Interested in the rear bars do you have mounting hardware? email me miamic70@gmail.com

THX

Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The earlier RRCs didn't even come with anti-sway bars.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Overlanding

Guys, I get it.
I am new to Land Rovers not cars so I "get" why they were removed. On my 4.5" lifted Cherokee I went through the same decison but the facts are

1. I live in S. Florida not a lot of articulation needed.

2. I drove it on the steet and body roll sucks.

Same deal with this one love the lift love the "look" but I hate the body roll driving on I95.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Thumbs up

Congrats on the Landy!

I think of owning my Disco I as owning a chinook helicopter or more lovingly referred to as a sh**hook because they leak hydraulic fluid all the time and break down constantly, but with proper maintenance you get where you're going(unless you stop off at a FOB an 8min flight away from Baghdad on your way back home, then it'll make an emergency landing and you'll have to wait seven hours in the middle of the night with your eight bags of gear for the next helo ).

Glad to see another prev Jeep owner, too. I miss my '07 JK with 35's on a 3" lift that took on anything I wanted and roll my eyes everytime someone on here discourages anything over a 30" tire or 2" of lift as if no vehicle in history has ever been lifted higher than that , lol.

FWIW, I'm thinking of going with the OME HD and an obscene 4.5" BL for 35" Baja Claws. I'm not an articulation freak. I bought the landy for mild off-roading, mid-deep water, and snow drifts b/c it's mainly to get me around when my Mustang will kill me due to WX, if the stang can get out of my driveway in it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will have to check on that mounting hardware.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
1. I live in S. Florida not a lot of articulation needed.
Why did you buy a Discovery I? Isn't south Florida for slammed cars with ground effects and fan boats?

Quick Reply: So I got the 1998 Discovery earlier this week :)