Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So I wanna mount a winch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I wanna mount a winch...

So- I managed to get a used ARB bumper for my Disco that has the provisions to mount a winch:
Name:  Mza8PjT.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  3.77 MB
So far I have the bumper, a set of trashed rollers, and a lot of empty space to work with. I'm wondering what my mounting options are as far as mounting plates and brackets, and where I should go from here.

Also, thanks again and again for the advice so far. This forum is directly responsible for my Rover being on the road today.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Isn't there already a mount plate on the bumper? I would assume most winches fit

Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The ARB web site has winch fitting instructions.
If it's the crush can model they are known to be weak for winch mounting on the D1 without making some reinforcement.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Sadly, it is the crush can model... I will research and post what I find. The only holes in the bumper are for the fairlead rollers:
Name:  fjrJrey.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  2.42 MB
Name:  BxjBeji.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  2.30 MB

Should I consider a mounting plate such as this:
Amazon.com: Driver Universal Recovery Winch Mounting Bracket - Black: Automotive Amazon.com: Driver Universal Recovery Winch Mounting Bracket - Black: Automotive

Old 09-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

U still need something to bolt the bracket IMO the 2 fair lead bolts alone are not enough

I thought the winch simply mounted upside down in these hmm

Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

to the best of knowledge you are right Tom. There should be 4 bolt holes in the plate top or bottom (not sure which) to mount the winch to. Unless someone just cut a hole in the bumper to put a fairlead on it for poser points.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Drifting

I contacted ARB, and got the installation instructions from them (good guys). It turns out that I need to buy a winch cradle that sits between the frame rails. It was a part of this bumper system, but I got the short end of the stick. I am waiting to hear back from ARB to see whether or no it is still available from them.

That's what I get for buying used, and not researching fully.

If it's not available, it's time to research what's out there for frame mounts...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

You prob
Y need one like had originally built for mine, look in my 98 build thread, I already have in my mind how to build what u need if it were me, buy I don't know where your Fab skills are

You can remove that block of rust fairlead, winches include em and they are cheap, u may need to get non crush can mounts, if Arab can't help with cradle I am sure there is enough knowledge here to figure it out

Last edited by TOM R; 09-18-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Minus the hole for the fairlead, that's what mine looks like. I need to figure out how to mount a winch as well.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

My suggestion is the universal plate at hf,same as link above, cut to fit between frame rails, bolt fairleed holes in mount through same in bumper, then Fab side supports for the plate, I am thinking L shaped 1/4 " plate u can either bolt or weld to bottom of the winch plate then use existing holes in frame as guides drill from the outside with 1/2" bit and secure it all with long grade 8 bolts

I suggest an all bolt setup and measure a lot, have the winch on hand as I had to make my bracket 2 times since my first try I made my cuts off the center line before realizing one end of my winch was longer past the mount feet

Like I said pics in my thread you will get what I mean

The following users liked this post:
Doogwhan (09-18-2015)

Quick Reply: So I wanna mount a winch...