Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So I wanna mount a winch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015 | 08:51 PM
|
Drifting

Okay, so if the ARB one is a ghost (likely), I will be modifying a Harbor freight mount plate. I have the ability to measure, drill, cut, and bolt. Any recommendations as to where I should hunt the L-shaped plate stock? If anyone out there is industrious, I am willing to trade money for such a bracket...

Last edited by Doogwhan; 09-18-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2015 | 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Doogwhan
Okay, so if the ARB one is a ghost (likely), I will be modifying a Harbor freight mount plate. I have the ability to measure, drill, cut, and bolt. Any recommendations as to where I should hunt the L-shaped plate stock? If anyone out there is industrious, I am willing to trade money for such a bracket...
Measure out what you need for brackets. You may be able to get a couple feet of 1/4" angle iron at a local metal shop that could work.

Old 09-19-2015 | 06:56 AM
Baja

Having pics of the missing mount would go a long way here

Old 09-19-2015 | 08:21 AM
|
Drifting

Here's all I have from ARB: (hopefully the PDF attaches)

It's a side view of the plate deeper in the instructions.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3432050-_Disco_I_1995-on.pdf (345.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 09-19-2015 | 06:44 PM
7th Gear
Default some ideas

You may like my winch mount. I built the bumper and added a mounting plate.
That plate is welded and bolted in place. (Bolted first)

I don't have a convenient steel shop so I used speedy/online metals for bits.

My bumper/mount:
Discovery Series 1 Winch Mounting

You can reinforce the hell out of the bumper with some plate welded into the right place. What you don't see on my build - I welded a plate across the top of the whole bumper assembly. The winch plate is mounted on top of both the plate and the C-channel front.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-21-2015 | 09:04 AM
Baja

,OK so they still want the winch mounted upside down and the winch plate up side down, well I don't know what your Fab skills are but u have some work there either way

Willow I think your idea is good and I do not want to get into a debate but how much have you stressed that mount?

Old 09-21-2015 | 12:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
,OK so they still want the winch mounted upside down and the winch plate up side down, well I don't know what your Fab skills are but u have some work there either way

Willow I think your idea is good and I do not want to get into a debate but how much have you stressed that mount?
Please don't mount the winch upside down. Somebody at ARB should have been fired over that. A guy I wheeled with had a D2 with the "ole upside down winch mount". What a GIANT pain in the @ss!!!! Nothing like trying to reach under a truck buried in mud to throw the freespool lever. Sometimes you could reach through the bumper but that was a real chore, too.

Old 09-21-2015 | 10:19 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TOM R
Once the plates were cut and mounted, they were boxed back toward the frame. I'll say that it's as strong as possible without adding additional mounting points to the frame. I looked at ARBs mounts before I built mine - they use the same mounting points. The frame will give way long before that winch mount does. I will say that if I did it again, I'd weld reinforcement plates to the frame and add a 2 more bolts per side. The rover frame is pretty thin up front.

+1 For mounting the winch right side up. Upside down is a BAD idea. You can flip the solenoid pack sure, but it'll make accessing the release a nightmare. Mine also has the remote connector on top, which is a another plus.

Old 09-21-2015 | 11:54 PM
Baja

Ahh did not see you boxed the frame thought it was just the side plates welded to the channel

There are enough arb bumpers around I would expect more input here, no way you are the first with this issue

Old 09-22-2015 | 08:40 AM
|
Drifting

I heard back from ARB- The plate I need is in Australia, and will be stateside in 8-12 weeks. After 89 bucks and shipping, I should have a bolt-in solution. Credit where it's due, the guys at ARB are awesome, and went well beyond what I expected in supporting an ancient product. Consider me a fanboy.

Quick Reply: So I wanna mount a winch...