Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Solenoid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh and thanks for the link Anti.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1 in the transfer case prventing shifting between high and low unless the transmission is in neutral

That is what it does. What problems were you having? Just like to know as some claim it should be removed to clear up diff lock engagement issues which is not correct.

It is only used to prevent shifting from high to low at highway speeds. If you do remove it, you disable that feature of course.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is already a cover on it just take it out and rtv the cover back on

Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed mine a while back the hardest part is its location , its on top of the tc to the right of the shifter

Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Winching

I can access it pretty easy due to a cut out I have made in the tunnel. I want easy future access to that area without tearing out the center console.

DannyLee. My TC would not shift between hi/low at all no matter what I did but after pulling out that solenoid it works fine. I have come to the conclusion that mine went bad and therefore locked it permanently regardless of speed which I believe is why others have advocated removing it. Worked for me is all I can say. My neutral switch on the TC is also bad but per the RAVE it's only job is to set off a buzzer when the TC is in neutral and the vehicle is placed in drive. Not important to me. Wasted electronic fluff as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Actually Transfer Gearbox is not the transmission. It's the transfer..ummm....gearbox. The thing bolted on the back of the transmission.
Actually, a manual transmission is a transfer gearbox as well.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Actually, a manual transmission is a transfer gearbox as well.
Not according to Land Rover.
But you won't hear anyone calling a manual gearbox a transfer gearbox, though sometimes a transfer gearbox is referred to as a secondary gearbox.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Not according to Land Rover.
But you won't hear anyone calling a manual gearbox a transfer gearbox, though sometimes a transfer gearbox is referred to as a secondary gearbox.
True dat.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can access it pretty easy due to a cut out I have made in the tunnel. I want easy future access to that area without tearing out the center console.

So I am not the only one to do a cutout in the tunnel sidewall for improved access.

If the problem was shifting high/low I could understand removing the solenoid, I had seen others advocate it's removal for Diff Lock Shift problems and that is totally off base as it has no connection to Diff Lock engagement.

Hope you let the new buyer know of your removal.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-14-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Winching

I will Danny. I actually got the idea of the cutout from you a long time ago. I am giving the buyer all the parts I have laying around. He will have the option to replace the solenoid if he wants or put the old one back in a lose the low function. I spent a couple hours going over the Disco with him the other day.

Quick Reply: Solenoid Question