Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Someone please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013 | 01:46 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Someone please help

Hi, my Discovery is having some pretty major issues. It's blowing the A/C and Horn/Emergency Lights way too often. I can only manage to blow the horn about 3 times before it blows. The A/C fuse is weird. It will sometimes last for 5 minutes or sometimes it will last for an hour. I will say the only time the fuse has lasted me an hour was when I was on the interstate. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Old 08-09-2013 | 01:59 PM
TReK

Let's clarify a bit... when you use the A/C, beep the horn, or use the emergency lights (flashers), you are blowing fuses? If that is correct, which fuses have blown and what size fuse have you replaced them with?

Old 08-09-2013 | 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

The AC fuse F3 under the hood is 30 amp and is for the compressor clutch. You can unplug the compressor and operate to see if it is the compressor or somewhere else. There are other fuses on other panels related to AC.

Old 08-09-2013 | 10:39 PM
|
Overlanding

Thank you both for the quick replies. I really appreciate it. To clarify, yes, the fuses are blowing. The fuses that are blowing are the ones that are in the fuse box. They are both 30's. I have replaced them many times. I will try unplugging the compressor and seeing if that helps. Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2013 | 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

The horn fuse is more of a problem. There are two horns, one high, one low tone. The high tone is on the battery side. One of the horns could be shorting out and drawing more current. But...

To get to the horns you have to remove:

Turn signal lenses (spring clip inside - reach in to release)

Under headlight trim - loosen - small screw is revealed when turn signals fixtures out.

Grille - three screws on top, then wiggle to get enough space to remove without removing the under headlight trim.

Now you might be able to use a long pair of needle nose pliers, and if you look in the top corners of the grille vent, you will see an electrical push on connector. That is the horn, easier to see on the battery side. You could unplug that and determine if it was that horn or the other.

Generic replacements about $16 at parts stores.

Since Rover goes to considerable lengths to have the alarm system that dominates the owner, it is surprising that you can easily unplug the horns from outside the truck.....

Attached Thumbnails Someone please help-p1130519.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013 | 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some more pix, you can also access the horn wire in the space behind head lights, it is the thick black one that passes thru to behind the grille. You can feel two wires inside the loose jacket, which is easily cut back.

In Rover wiring, ground is usually black, and positive circuits are carried by a wire with some color (or colors) other than black. Like black with green stripe, etc. The RAVE electrical drawings show all this, and have letters on the wires that indicate color code from their intro pages. As an example, letter "K" indicates "PINK". Not that Man in Black, although Rovers may well have been designed by Klingons.

Attached Thumbnails Someone please help-p1130524.jpg   Someone please help-p1130521.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-12-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-11-2013 | 07:28 PM
|
Overlanding

Thanks for all the help. I would have done it today if my muffler didn't fall off. I was driving down the road at my farm going to put my jon boat in the river and it just came off. I'm having it fixed in the morning. When I get it back I'll sort out the horn situation. I am leaving for college on Friday morning so I hope I can get everything sorted out before then. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-12-2013 | 08:55 PM
4wd Low

You might also have a break in the section of harness that runs along the top edge of the engine compartment that the battery sits against. Remove the battery and inspect that shot loom cor crushed or broken wires. Both, your horn and your lights and possibly your a/c clutch are incorporated in that same section of loom. If you find that to be the problem separate the wires and tape them so no bare wires touch others. And anchor your battery so it no longer pinches that loom.
This would be my guess and suggestion.

Old 08-12-2013 | 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 1998Disco1
Thanks for all the help. I would have done it today if my muffler didn't fall off.
Quintessential Land Rover quote right there.
Someone remind me why we love these trucks so much?

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:49 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by SSL9000J
Quintessential Land Rover quote right there.
Someone remind me why we love these trucks so much?
Because the kid in us says we have a bad *** camel trophy go any where off road beast
In reality it is a finiky prissy princess that demands all our attention

Quick Reply: Someone please help