Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Specs & Dimensions for D1 sill sliders / rock sliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Specs & Dimensions for D1 sill sliders / rock sliders

Contained herein you will find a thread with no starting problems, no idle issues, no super mods, no driveline clunks, no "which ______ is best" survey and no Headight Fluid Resevoir jokes...

Just a simple question... no matter what make or style slider you have bolted to your sills, can you tell me the dimensions and thickness of the slide rail? AND are you happy with the current configuration or what changes would you make?

please

Why? technical research.

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Tech research...ppffttt!
You're going to make your own aren't you?

Just a FYI, I do not want nerf bars on mine.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Tech research...ppffttt!
You're going to make your own aren't you?

Just a FYI, I do not want nerf bars on mine.
busted in just one reply... damn.

Yes, I am making some and would like to take all the available specs (and opinions) into account. Might even make a few pair and offer them up to clubs for free giveaways at rallye raffle time. FLRC gets frist dibs.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I cant contribute (as usual) but there was a guy on here who made a set and didnt account for the slight curve that the rocker panel makes going from front to back.
So on his the front was almost a 1"? lower than the back.
he didnt care as it was a trail rig.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
I cant contribute (as usual) but there was a guy on here who made a set and didnt account for the slight curve that the rocker panel makes going from front to back.
So on his the front was almost a 1"? lower than the back.
he didnt care as it was a trail rig.

Yup that was mine....... I can tell you that the sill 2x2 as far as length i had to make mine shorter then what was available on the market due to tire size. I used 2" angle on the sill inside and outside if that make sence and 2" square tubing 5/16 wall on the bottom.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Yup that was mine....... I can tell you that the sill 2x2 as far as length i had to make mine shorter then what was available on the market due to tire size. I used 2" angle on the sill inside and outside if that make sence and 2" square tubing 5/16 wall on the bottom.
do you have any pics ?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
do you have any pics ?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...hlight=Sliders

I added angle on the inside of the sill since then. I had just used larger fender washers on the inside and it was wanting to bend the inside pretty good. I also made some braces to go to the body mounts and frame just gotta find the time to get that done.

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I'm about to tackle my own sliders. I am using 3x2x3/16" rect. tubing. No nerf bars....yet. I was thinking of going to framerails instead of using the sill "pinch method" for mounting. What do you guys think? I notice all D1 guys mount to sill. I will be welding them to frame rails.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...hlight=Sliders

I added angle on the inside of the sill since then. I had just used larger fender washers on the inside and it was wanting to bend the inside pretty good. I also made some braces to go to the body mounts and frame just gotta find the time to get that done.
thanks for the pics...I must have missed them the first time around !!
That curve in the rocker panel area is good example of a design "flaw" ...it gives many the appearance that the vehicle is sagging in the rear even when its actually level.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jdracersc
I'm about to tackle my own sliders. I am using 3x2x3/16" rect. tubing. No nerf bars....yet. I was thinking of going to framerails instead of using the sill "pinch method" for mounting. What do you guys think? I notice all D1 guys mount to sill. I will be welding them to frame rails.

I never had any problem with just mounting to the sills they are plenty strong enough in my opinion. But there is nothing wrong with mounting to the frame either. The only reason i'm going to the frame with mine is so I have a skid plate to cover my air tanks and it will definately stiffen everything up.

Quick Reply: Specs & Dimensions for D1 sill sliders / rock sliders