Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spike or Mike...Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now Atlantic British has the entire Hose Kit for the DI on sale for 79.95. If it was mine, I would change every hose in the entire cooling system as well as the thermostat and flush the cooling system since you will be draining it all anyway.

I would also do an immediate oil change. Take care to catch the oil that drails out. I even kept a sample from a recent oil change. The condition of what drains out will be indicative of your internal engine conditions.

Pulling an valve cover is probably a good idea as well. If it is really dirty there are several various products you can attempt, but I personally avoid the seafoam induction cleaning myself. Some really enthusiatically support the use of it, but I will not take the risk after hearing some of the horror stories about damage.

Use either Rotella or some of the specialoils for high milage vehicles. I put Max_life in mine and it was an immediate improvement all around. Sound, feel, throttle response as well.

IF IT OVERHEATED for very long or high temp, you will have more significant issues. If the intake gasket went or is leaking, you will be looking at a significant teardown and replacement. Pick and pulls don't help much unless you can get good engines or other major items, but remember it is from a JUNKED LAND ROVER.

Take some time and go over it closely. You can do leak down test and other techniques to help evaluate the extent of the problems. You most likely have multiple contributors with a older one. My 97 had a lot of neglect issues when I bought it.

I totally agree with TOM, I would be looking for a replacement engine based on your initial comments regarding the running it with the oil light on. That was why I first said to donate it to charity and take as large a Tax Write-off as you can get away with. Otherwise prepare to spend a small fortune on it.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, with the proper tools and some time, you can replace a head gasket and an oil pump. If I could look at the big RAVE right now, I'd give you more info. There is a possibility(assuming it's the oil pump) that any damage is to the bearings only, and not to the journals. A person could clean the engine out, replace the oil pump and the bearings. Not sure how far into this I would want to go before replacing the engine with a know good engine would seem like less trouble and maybe money. If you can get a coolant pressure test and leak down test done, we could help even more. Right now, you have to realize we are all speculating.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys. here's where I'm at. I pulled a valve cover and it seems to be pretty dirty to me, although this is a first for me so I don't have much to compare it to. Btw, I want to clear one thing up, I have not been driving with the oil light on. Other than it coming on for a few seconds at start up, it has not been on until today when it came on. Once it came on, I drove 3 neighborhood blocks to get to my driveway. So, when I was putting the valve cover back on, a friend stopped by and when I got everything put back together, I started it for a few seconds to let him take a quick listen, as he has some experience with motors, and not only had the Clicking sound reduced substantially, but my oil light did not come on. Wouldn't it stay on if the oil pump was out?

I am going to start with replacing the coolant hoses and t-stat as well as drain the oil and replace it with the proper oil and an engine treatment (what sort of horror stories have you heard about seafoam?) and inspect the oil I pull out. If putting new oil and treatment in seems to make an improvement, I will do another flush of the engine and see where that gets me.

Is this a decent place to start or am I being too optimistic?

In response to the engine overheating, when it happened, I literally pulled over within 50 feet once I realized there was a problem. It was also about 15 degrees at the time so I can only assume that the temp helped cool the engine down somewhat quickly.

I'm pretty strapped for cash right now so I am hoping that some coolant system attention and an engine flush will give me some decent results. I appreciate everyone's input. I will report back once I have done everything.
Wish me luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny- what exactly is the intake gasket?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say that is a great place to start. Oil change and replace the t-stat you already have. Get the air out of the coolant and see what happens. Worst case scenario, your engine is toast. I doubt that it is toast. Prolly just needed some attention before it became toast.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rover-Nube, I sent you a PM. Just FYI.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I'd say that is a great place to start. Oil change and replace the t-stat you already have. Get the air out of the coolant and see what happens. Worst case scenario, your engine is toast. I doubt that it is toast. Prolly just needed some attention before it became toast.
Sounds like you have a great starting point for troubleshooting/Problem identification. Also, just FYI - there is a great thread on the T-Stat and Coolant troubleshooting if you search this board - I will also try to dig it up.
I seem to remember it went through the options to "bleed" (Burp!) the cooling system as well.

Best of luck!

ColoDisco -
That "Jump to Conclusions" mat is just plain awesome. LOVED "Office Space"!

Chris

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a great thread on Coolant and Thermostat replacement:

Thermostat and Coolant Thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ant+thermostat

And Spike's thread on "bleeding" a Disco II, only difference on a Disco I is no "Bleed Screw".

Spike's Bloody Thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...=coolant+bleed

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you caught it in time, you may be fine. Or at least not a total disaster even if not fine.

Doing those things certainly will be good if the engine is not damaged.

So far, all my ordeals have been external to the engine itself thankfully.

I have worked my way thru the brakes, fuel pump and fuel lines, the CDL linkages, fluids and filters, tires, a complete tuneup and some other basics. i had an oil leak that I thought was the valley pan gasket and I bought the complete gasket kit just in case, but tightening the valve cover bolts resolved the leak.

I have the intake gaskets but so far all that is sitting on the shelf just in case.

There are lots of good places for info, but I cannot help you there. I do read as much as I can find on all the Discovery I issues. I have been pretty fortunate with mine so far.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-05-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverNube
Btw, I want to clear one thing up, I have not been driving with the oil light on. Other than it coming on for a few seconds at start up, it has not been on until today when it came on.
That doesn't jive with your first post.
...my oil light would occasionally stay on slightly longer than my other indicator lights upon starting on cold mornings, but would go off after the truck had idled for a few minutes. Being that it only happened when very cold, I didn't think too much of it.
That is bad.

but...
Once it came on, I drove 3 neighborhood blocks to get to my driveway.
You drove 3 blocks with the oil light on? That is very bad.

... my oil light did not come on. Wouldn't it stay on if the oil pump was out?
Yes. I don't think it's your pump. It's likely coolant in the oil.

Is this a decent place to start or am I being too optimistic?
You're being optimistic. Even if you change the oil and get decent pressure your engine is living on borrowed time, IMO.

In response to the engine overheating, when it happened, I literally pulled over within 50 feet once I realized there was a problem.
The key is "once I realized there was a problem'. How long had it been since you'd last looked at the temp gauge? That's how long it could have been overheated.
It was also about 15 degrees at the time so I can only assume that the temp helped cool the engine down somewhat quickly.
It wouldn't have a hugely significant effect.

If coolant hoses and oil "fix" it, then you may be ok until you can afford more extensive work.

Last edited by antichrist; 02-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Spike or Mike...Please Help