Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spike or Mike...Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Groundandpound.

Antichrist- you said "Yes. I don't think it's your pump. It's likely water in the coolant." What does that mean? Do you mean that there is coolant in the motor with the oil? Or that a percentage of my coolant is water? Isn't Coolant mixed with water when you buy it, if buying 50/50 (which is not what I put in it, I used concentrate.) It may be on borrowed time, but if these small fixes can get me a little time, it will be very helpful.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverNube
Thanks Groundandpound.

Antichrist- you said "Yes. I don't think it's your pump. It's likely water in the coolant." What does that mean? Do you mean that there is coolant in the motor with the oil? Or that a percentage of my coolant is water? Isn't Coolant mixed with water when you buy it, if buying 50/50 (which is not what I put in it, I used concentrate.) It may be on borrowed time, but if these small fixes can get me a little time, it will be very helpful.
Your coolant should be a 50/50 mix of water and glycol(antifreeze). You can buy it premixed or mix it yourself. If there is 'water' in the oil, then you have coolant leaking into the oil. If it has not mixed, then the oil will not look like chocolate milk yet. You will know when you drain your oil. First the oil will come out, followed by the coolant.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Antichrist- you said "Yes. I don't think it's your pump. It's likely water in the coolant." What does that mean?
LOL Means I made a typo, sorry.
I meant it's likely coolant in your oil.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got to drain your oil and see. You said you needed to do that anyway. Now is a great time. Let us know what you find. Oil, oil and coolant, squirrels...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Groundandpound.

Isn't Coolant mixed with water when you buy it, if buying 50/50 (which is not what I put in it, I used concentrate.)
There is the start of your problems, 100% concentrated engine coolant will freeze around 20-30*F.
You MUST mix it with distilled water to get the proper freeze and boil over protection that is required for your engine.
Because you live in TX and it never gets this cold you never would have had a problem until summer, then the truck would overheat after you drove it for 15 min.
Here is what I think happened, your coolant was frozen in the cooling system of the truck, when you were driving it the coolant in the block melted and became liquid but the coolant in the radiator was still slush and could not be pumped through the cooling system. (happens all the time here in MI to people who do not take care of their cars)
So the coolant in the block boiled over and built up to much pressure and tried to escape.
So it blew the hose.
Because your oil is old and worn out and most likely the wrong viscosity to start with when it got to hot it thinned out so much that the oil light came on.
As oil gets old it breaks down and looses its viscosity, so a 5w-30 (every oil does this, just at different temps) that is worn out will get thinner, then you overheat that oil past its boil point it cannot do its job and all the additives boil off and form sludge.
You should have changed the oil before you even did anything else to the truck.
Old worn out motor oil will take longer to build oil pressure and will not hold oil pressure as well as fresh oil.
Forget the Seafoam, just do a oil change and use diesel oil, it is a very highly detergent motor oil and it will clean the engine as you drive.
Then in 500 miles or so remove the oil pan and clean out the oil pick up screen on the oil pump and then use diesel oil once again.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
There is the start of your problems
WHEW! For a split second, I was afraid all of his problems were a result of him thanking me!

Darn it....there goes that darn birth defect again.

Chris

Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
whew! For a split second, i was afraid all of his problems were a result of him thanking me!

Darn it....there goes that darn birth defect again.:d

chris
lol!!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that both Tom And Spike have given you excellent evaluations of your problem. There is a high probability that engine is pretty extensively damaged. Drain that oil and see what comes out. You may squeek by for a while on that motor with a n oio and coolant change. You will find out pretty quickly when you do attempt to use it. If the head gasket is blown, you will be getting the oil and coolant mixing together and you will have continued overheating issues.

I would be reluctant to spend much more on that engine. You should be looking for a decent replacement or consider a different vehicle. Also be much more attentive to detail with whatever you get and do as much as possible such as oil changes and other preventative maintenance up front. Or just keep buying junkers and drive them until destruction. Some junkers will last a long time, some only go a few miles if that.