Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

SRS light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default SRS light?

So to pass inspection I have to have the SRS light come on when I turn the key two clicks without starting up the car. Mine has not been coming on, which mean I have no drivers airbags.
Today I replaced the clock spring in my truck with a used one from Roverland parts. When it came in I noticed the tape on the 3-4 oclock portion of the clock spring was broken, the manual says "DO NOT USE ROTARY COUPLER IF TAPE SEAL IS BROKEN" well I used it anyways. But the light did not come on after I put everything back together. Any ideas as to why my SRS light isnt coming on? There was a #3 fuse in the wiring that connected to the clock spring. It might be blown but I'm not sure. Taking apart the airbags was scary as ****, but it all went okay, I dont want to have to do it again but any helpful thoughts you guys have would be great! Thank in advance
Lev

Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How do you know its the airbag, have you had the SRS codes read?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Rock Crawling

I didn't replace the airbag I just replaced the clockspring behind the airbag and steering wheel. I took the disco to a rover tech and he said that my SRS light should come on when I turn the key to ignition and to fix this the clock spring should be replaced. Just seeing if anyone has had this issue before and if the clock spring was the correct remedy. He did hook it up to a test book and scanned everything though.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I replaced the cable reel on my 96 because the SRS light came on, and then a while later the horn stopped working. It fixed both for me. The warning about the tape.... is for new parts. They want to make sure that the cable reel is centered. If it's not straight, you could damage it when you turn the wheel too far... pulling the cable too tight inside the guts of the reel. Used ones already have the tape torn, or else the two parts couldn't turn independently. I suppose they could add new tape when they remove it...

Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir
I replaced the cable reel on my 96 because the SRS light came on, and then a while later the horn stopped working. It fixed both for me. The warning about the tape.... is for new parts. They want to make sure that the cable reel is centered. If it's not straight, you could damage it when you turn the wheel too far... pulling the cable too tight inside the guts of the reel. Used ones already have the tape torn, or else the two parts couldn't turn independently. I suppose they could add new tape when they remove it...
The cable reel? Is that the cable inside the clock spring?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

cable reel / clock spring same thing.

I think the land rover term is "Rotary coupler"

Last edited by jafir; 05-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.