Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starting problem with 1997 LR Discovery SE V8i

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starting problem with 1997 LR Discovery SE V8i

New owner of 1997 LR Discovery SE V8i. 94K miles

Has been running and starting fine. Only one display issue ABS anti lock(?) working to solve that.

Yesterday after starting fine in the yard and driving 3 miles with a stop. After the errand was done 10 mins when I tried to restart the car.

This happen quickly...I inserted the key got the diagnostic start up with no errors (except yellow ABS warning). Turn the key from II to III the starter engaged BRIEFLY (2-3 seconds) then nothing. When key is turn to start position NOTHING.

However lights horn and other external lights work. They do NOT dim with start attempt. Yet internal electricals (radio lights, dash lights, even the DC cellphone charger light dims to out). I can hear a very slight click under the dash. It seems to be over toward the passenger kick panel or near the glove compartment.

I did try a jump start. I did try clean battery posts. No go.

The fact that headlights fail to dim with a start attempt would suggest to me it is not a weak battery.

Maybe a bad starter connection, ground, relay, safety?

Still new and learning the in/outs and quirks of our new LR.

On final note. As a retired IT director who had to chase down network outages and problems. My troubleshooting flow chart would always start with..... my first diagnostic question..... WHAT if anything has changed "lately" that might have had some impact on the current event.

So back to the LR. The day before the "event" I had the exhaust system repaired. It was up on a lift with a mechanic working around underneath. All
that was replace were the two mufflers and pipes. Starting at the front (middle) of the system working back. Connector pipe with flange, muffler, connector pipe to rear muffler, rear muffler, tail pipe.

No work to my knowledge on the front half of the exhaust system from the flange mentioned above to the engine.

Help please. Thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

A 1997 is a discovery I.
You are in the wrong forum.
Regardless,
I have a Discovery I also.
It WILL do this from time to time for whatever reason.
We are at 164,000 on our Discovery I and have replaced the battery.
I have also cleaned the heavy current carrying wiring and this problem has diminished.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a bad starter relay or solenoid.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the ground connection from starter to frame. Thyat was the problem with mine, corroded badly.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Mudding

Check all the grounds and main hot wire for corrosion/ junked up also as mentioned battery /solenoid/ and possibly a bad alternator. my fried alternator would function then create problems as you describe, but these other items can be checked and most likely one will rectify the issue. Check main hot going to the starter and starter itself which may need replacing for the solenoid. These starters are in a bad area to collect rover blood (oil) which will cause failure when built up.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Mudding

Jfail isn't this the d1 forum? Edit: never mind saw the re post from d2 forum.

Last edited by Walko327; 09-01-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Overlanding

Thanks to all who replied. I will let you know how it works out.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by cheqbay1997
New owner of 1997 LR Discovery SE V8i. 94K miles

Has been running and starting fine. Only one display issue ABS anti lock(?) working to solve that.

Yesterday after starting fine in the yard and driving 3 miles with a stop. After the errand was done 10 mins when I tried to restart the car.

This happen quickly...I inserted the key got the diagnostic start up with no errors (except yellow ABS warning). Turn the key from II to III the starter engaged BRIEFLY (2-3 seconds) then nothing. When key is turn to start position NOTHING.

However lights horn and other external lights work. They do NOT dim with start attempt. Yet internal electricals (radio lights, dash lights, even the DC cellphone charger light dims to out). I can hear a very slight click under the dash. It seems to be over toward the passenger kick panel or near the glove compartment.

I did try a jump start. I did try clean battery posts. No go.

The fact that headlights fail to dim with a start attempt would suggest to me it is not a weak battery.

Maybe a bad starter connection, ground, relay, safety?

Still new and learning the in/outs and quirks of our new LR.

On final note. As a retired IT director who had to chase down network outages and problems. My troubleshooting flow chart would always start with..... my first diagnostic question..... WHAT if anything has changed "lately" that might have had some impact on the current event.

So back to the LR. The day before the "event" I had the exhaust system repaired. It was up on a lift with a mechanic working around underneath. All
that was replace were the two mufflers and pipes. Starting at the front (middle) of the system working back. Connector pipe with flange, muffler, connector pipe to rear muffler, rear muffler, tail pipe.

No work to my knowledge on the front half of the exhaust system from the flange mentioned above to the engine.

Help please. Thanks
Thanks to all who replied. The solution was a new starter. The wire between the starter and solenoid was FRIED! Thanks again.